Used Almost 4gb Of Ram

wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but i was fiddling around and decided to see how much of my 4GB of RAM i could use at one time with the fewest programs open.

it turns out that if i run Assassin's Creed and GRID at the same time, along with 2 virtual machines both running xp professional, that is where my RAM runs out lol!

this is for all you people out there that say 4GB is too much RAM. i am often running at least one of these virtual machines, to connect to the internet, and one game at any given time, which uses about 2.5GB by itself. lol!

here's a screenshot:

post-63781-1221689200_thumb.jpg

Running Virtual Machines uses a huge amount of your resources, but how many people run 1 all the time, yet alone 2? I don't really see the point of your comments - you use what you need, if you want to run 2 virtual machines, game and surf on Vista, then you need a large amount of available ram. If you don't do all that, as I suspect most do, then you don't need it.

Runnin Virtual Machines uses a huge amount of your resources, but how many people run 1 all the time, yet alone 2?

agreed, but i'm running on campus internet, which requires me to have a 32bit OS, and since i'm running 64bit vista, i have to have at least one VM running if i want to be online.

and a side note: my roommate does some server work and one of his VMs uses over 2GB of RAM on its own.

So your point is that two vmware instances of XP pro, GRID *and* assasins creed can use 3.88gb of ram?

I fail to see the usefulness of that information. VM's are HUGE resource hogs - you are putting a whole OS into memory - two in your case - then running two demanding games.

To be honest, I am surprised it ONLY used 3.88gb :lol:. XP pro VM uses ~600mb of ram for each instance under VMWare.

Just for kicks here is an SS of IE, Word, VMs of XP, 98, Redhat, and a CAD rendering of a house and two trees under Vista 64(including annoying effects and an objectdock) I just did...from an office PC(vista is banned from my household :lol:).

Used a hair under one gig :lol:. I am willing the bet your high ram usage was really mostly due to running both GRID and Assasins at the same time on a 512 mb card that quickly ran out of room for textures so used the system ram.

post-14548-1221693034_thumb.jpg