What Temp Is This?

nasa geek

I'm a little new to overclocking, and I just recently built a computer without considering its overclocking potential

Specs: (note this was a bit of a budget build [$500] so a lot of the parts are not amazing quality)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2700mhz

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H

EVGA GeForce 8800GS 384mb

Rosewill Stallion series 550w PSU

LG 22x DVD burner

2x1gb G.Skill RAM DDR2 800

NZXT Hush case <----- considering replacing this because of paltry ventilation and no case fan expandability

All stock cooling; case has two 120mm fans

Anyways.... when I ran Prime95 to get a look at my temperatures, I noticed SpeedFan was displaying a temperature identified as "Temp3" that would rise at a steady rate, cresting at about 67c. I can confirm this tempaerature is not: my CPU, my GPU, or my HDD. What else could this be? Maybe my NB? If anyone else could perhaps tell me what temps normally get high when running Prime95 (3rd test blended) that would be great.

Edited by nasa geek

I was using CoreTemp at the same time and it displayed my cores running at roughly 55c each, so I know it's not the CPU. I'm looking at PCWizard at the moment and it says the 67c is my "Power/Aux Temperature" does this mean it's my PSU?

It could be the northbridge, you can always touch the heatsink to see if it "feels" like 60C, otherwise your board doesn't have that sensor and it's just a bogus reading. ALso, if the PSU was that hot, you'd probably have problems.

Edited by Zertz

Would Prime95 cause the Northbridge to heat up like that? SpeedFan displays it as idling at roughly 46c or so. That a 20 degree jump in a couple of minutes. Then again I wouldn't be surprised... I also have a temperature that's showing 95c idle even though I have experienced no performance dips since building the computer...

Speedfan often showed weird readings for me... maybe the MOSFETs around your CPU have a temp sensor, that's what it might be.

Is that other 95C reading locked or does it change between idle/load? Probably bogus though, if anything was that hot it would smell ;)

No real change in temp on the 95c, it'll jump from 91-96c sporadicly. So is 67c when under load something I should be worried about? (this temperature was displayed on different programs) I've been seriously considering some after market CPU and/or chipset coolers.

If your gonna get a aftermarket cooler i suggest you get this one...

Linky:Zalman Fan

For that price, you might as well go with this (coming from someone who owns a Zalman 9700, it's not a bad cooler, but expensive for what it does)

But honestly, I wouldn't really worry, just make sure you have decent airflow and you won't have any problems

Edited by Zertz

When I first looked at the Zalman, I thought to myself "That is obscenely expensive" but now I see that it is substantially less than I thought. However, I would still like to get something perhaps a little cheaper, somewhere from $30-40 max. (I'm still on a budget)

Honestly, if you're not overclocking, it's not worth it

go to frostytech.com

its not to good of a website and i dont no if its all that trustworthy but it will show you a large range of fans and there prices it gives reviews to but like i said i don't know that sites reputation