A Gaming Desktop To Last 3 Years? Possible?

X2P

Well My Vostro 1500 has had the last game it will have played on it played as the graphics card is wearing down.

I have no choice but to go out and build my first desktop or buy a gaming laptop. Unfortunately I am looking for a 3 year solution. I will be in Japan for 3 more years and would like a build that I would not have to update for 3 years. I would be willing to upgrade the Graphics Card/ram after 1.5 years. I plan to play games at high-ultra settings at 1680 by 1050.

This is a First build for me so I would like something easy to work with

1) What is your budget?

1500$ give or take a what ever is necessary

In the currency I will be buying basically 150,000 Yen

Only computer, no peripherals/screen

2) Are there any brands/resellers that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Prefer "bigger brands"

3) What tasks will you be performing with the Desktop?

Gaming with some media

4) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

Everything out now until 2011 on high or higher settings, look at the red text please.

5) Do you mind buying parts online without seeing them in person?

Prefer to see parts but I have a lot of access.

6) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS X, Linux, etc.

XP>Vista

7) How much hard drive space is needed?

minimum 640gb (7700 yen in Japan)/possibly raid

8) What size desktop would you like?(All in one, compact, large)

Something larger, easy to work with.

9) Does the case need to be stylish?

Very much so, I love Lian li cases as well as some Silverstones. I am looking for a Black case. That is a requirement, also lighting I would like to theme blue, a small window like in the Cooler master HAF case would be nice. Prefer minimal plastic on the case. Tool free design is not necessary but the case should be easy to work with as it is my first build.

One other very important note is that in a single week in Japan dust build up is worse then over a month probably over 2 months when compared to a North American home. Therefore a very "dust resistant" and "easy to clean"(filtered fans) are a must.

10) What resolution will the screen run at? One or Two screens?

1680 by 1050

11) Do you need any particular hardware?(Ports, HDD slots, double DVD drives, etc.)

Would like to go the ATI root, probably the 4870.

I have been a lifelong Intel fanboy so Intel Calls.

12) How would you rate your technical skills?

Intermediate

13) Have you ever built a desktop before?

No, minimal experience

14) Do you need wireless connectivity?

No, wired at all times.

15) When are you going to be building this?

ASAP, keeping for 3 years minus graphics card/ram update in 1.5 years

16) Have you considered a pre-built desktop? Or even a notebook?

Yes on the notebook part, I am weighing the price performance portability (Three P's) but no pre-builts as they cost roughly 1000$ more for a pre-built in Japan

17) Are you going to overclock?

Likely

18) Current Build Ideas?

Case: Cooler Master HAF932/Antec 1200/Antec P182

Mobo: ASUSTeK P5Q Deluxe

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (less then 10$(1000yen) from the Q9450)

CPU Heatsink: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 ( Any recommendations for a similarly high rated one?)

HDD: WesternDigital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS

GFX Card: HIS Raedon 4870 (Any other brand recommendations?)

Ram: CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (dont know much about ram please recommend similar price range (100$))

PSU: CORSAIR TX750W

Thanks

If you are planning for it to last for three years, i recon

Case: Antec 1200/Lian-li ARMORSUIT PC-P80

Mobo: Gigabyte x48-DQ6( or the EP 45-DQ6) (i'm not familier with Asus)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Heatsink: THERMALRIGHT ULTRA-120

GFX Card: Visiontek Raedon 4870x2 (mainly because of the lifetime warrenty)

Ram: OCZ,G.skill, muskin at ddr2 1066-1200mhz (theres still other brands out there)

First I have to ask, $1500 is in what currency?

Secondly, if you are looking for a system that could play "Ultra-high" setting for the next 3 years, you probably need to spend more than $1500.

Case

i suggested the Lian-li Pc-P80 because my friend have 1, and its really a solid case(design and quality).

Mobo

Its better you look for some that support DDR2 1200mhz, even though currently a 1066mhz is sufficient for any games, but as the rate technology is going, you might want to leave some space for an upgrade(x48 or P45 chipset is a must).

Cooler

Its better to get a great cooler if you are going to use it for such a long time. Lower heat= longer life, especially if you are gonna OC you cpu.

Ram

Don't go for corsair, its way overpriced. Read some reviews and you will find that there are many brands that have similar/better performance than corsair with a lower price. (if you like the Ram cooler fan, just buy the fan, you will still safe up some cash)

GPU

Ultra-high settings on all future games? yeah, better to go for a 4870x2 than a 4870. 4870 is a great card, and currently it could max all game settings at 1680 by 1050, but i really doubt 1 card could still manage to do that after a year.

OS

Definately go for vista. Read this and you will understand.

Anyway, i wasn't very price concious on selecting the parts because if I were to build a comp. that would last for 3 years, i would definately spend heaps on it considering the technology progression rate. Well, i stand corrected if i'm wrong.

Edited by rycm86

If you're going to keep it for 3 years, you might as well hold onto your money for some more time and get a Core i7 CPU (Nehalem, new Intel architecture) with a X58 board.

For the other components, I'd aim for either the drive rycm mentioned or the Samsung F1's, 3 of them in RAID5 would be a good option. The other things rycm listed are good too, if I was to put that kind of money on a new machine, that's pretty much what I'd get!

Gaming laptop is usually a bad idea, not really portable and a good one is ridiculously expensive

Edited by Zertz

If you are planning for it to last for three years, i recon

Case: Antec 1200/Lian-li ARMORSUIT PC-P80

Mobo: Gigabyte x48-DQ6( or the EP 45-DQ6) (i'm not familier with Asus)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Heatsink: THERMALRIGHT ULTRA-120

GFX Card: Visiontek Raedon 4870x2 (mainly because of the lifetime warrenty)

Ram: OCZ,G.skill, muskin at ddr2 1066-1200mhz (theres still other brands out there)

First I have to ask, $1500 is in what currency?

Secondly, if you are looking for a system that could play "Ultra-high" setting for the next 3 years, you probably need to spend more than $1500.

Case

i suggested the Lian-li Pc-P80 because my friend have 1, and its really a solid case(design and quality).

Mobo

Its better you look for some that support DDR2 1200mhz, even though currently a 1066mhz is sufficient for any games, but as the rate technology is going, you might want to leave some space for an upgrade(x48 or P45 chipset is a must).

Cooler

Its better to get a great cooler if you are going to use it for such a long time. Lower heat= longer life, especially if you are gonna OC you cpu.

Ram

Don't go for corsair, its way overpriced. Read some reviews and you will find that there are many brands that have similar/better performance than corsair with a lower price. (if you like the Ram cooler fan, just buy the fan, you will still safe up some cash)

GPU

Ultra-high settings on all future games? yeah, better to go for a 4870x2 than a 4870. 4870 is a great card, and currently it could max all game settings at 1680 by 1050, but i really doubt 1 card could still manage to do that after a year.

OS

Definately go for vista. Read this and you will understand.

Anyway, i wasn't very price concious on selecting the parts because if I were to build a comp. that would last for 3 years, i would definately spend heaps on it considering the technology progression rate. Well, i stand corrected if i'm wrong.

1500$ in yen is basically 150,000yen as stated above.

The 4870X2 is far too much for me as it costs around 650$. It is far easier to upgrade that in 1.5 years like stated above I plan on updated the video card 1.5 years into the build's life. The asus is a P45 chipset.

If you're going to keep it for 3 years, you might as well hold onto your money for some more time and get a Core i7 CPU (Nehalem, new Intel architecture) with a X58 board.

For the other components, I'd aim for either the drive rycm mentioned or the Samsung F1's, 3 of them in RAID5 would be a good option. The other things rycm listed are good too, if I was to put that kind of money on a new machine, that's pretty much what I'd get!

Gaming laptop is usually a bad idea, not really portable and a good one is ridiculously expensive

1) I need the system now

2) There is no point in me waiting then it becomes only 2.7 years vs 3 years... I lose time

3) I am no updating anything but video card and memory within those 3 years as I am chucking the system out afterwards.

I already had that hard drive in my list.

TO POSTERS: PLEASE READ FIRST POST DO NOT SKIM!

Case: Cooler Master HAF932/Antec 1200/Antec P182 i have the antec 900, and i love it

Mobo: ASUSTeK P5Q Deluxe great choice

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (less then 10$(1000yen) from the Q9450) if youre going to need it for a while, then yeah, i suppose a quad would be better.

CPU Heatsink: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 ( Any recommendations for a similarly high rated one?) with the money you are spending, you might be able to finagle a water cooled solution.

GFX Card: HIS Raedon 4870 (Any other brand recommendations?) im not a fanboy, but the best single gpu's out right now are nvidias gtx models. more expensive, yes, but imo worth it

Ram: CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (dont know much about ram please recommend similar price range (100$))

PSU: CORSAIR TX750W have a look at pc power and coolings 750 watt silencer model. less expensive, and very, very good.

my own specs are in my sig, and that cost me just under 1000 bucks. with the extra five hundred, id have gone with an sli mobo, another gtx, and water cooling. am i "future proof"? no, but im one that thinks that theres really no such thing. computer are like cars, theyre always coming out with new models. and todays luxery is tomorrows staple.

Edited by Lhiannon

Case: Cooler Master HAF932/Antec 1200/Antec P182 i have the antec 900, and i love it

Mobo: ASUSTeK P5Q Deluxe great choice

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (less then 10$(1000yen) from the Q9450) if youre going to need it for a while, then yeah, i suppose a quad would be better.

CPU Heatsink: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 ( Any recommendations for a similarly high rated one?) with the money you are spending, you might be able to finagle a water cooled solution.

GFX Card: HIS Raedon 4870 (Any other brand recommendations?) im not a fanboy, but the best single gpu's out right now are nvidias gtx models. more expensive, yes, but imo worth it

PSU: CORSAIR TX750W have a look at pc power and coolings 750 watt silencer model. less expensive, and very, very good.

my own specs are in my sig, and that cost me just under 1000 bucks. with the extra five hundred, id have gone with an sli mobo, another gtx, and water cooling. am i "future proof"? no, but im one that thinks that theres really no such thing. computer are like cars, theyre always coming out with new models. and todays luxery is tomorrows staple.

Thanks for the response!

I really like the 900 but the lack of dust filters is what cut it off my list :(

I wish I could go with the Nvidia card but in Japan the card is over 160$ more than the 4870 so I had ruled out Nvidia.

I considered water cooling but it seems it would cost me easily upwards of 500$ just for the CPU >.<

Prices here are more than a rip off unfortunately.. 170$ lian li cases in america or canada = 500$ cases here >.<

Once again thanks for the response

for real. sheesh, that IS a rip off. someone needs to get a vendors license here in the states and start helping out our brothers in foreign lands.

well, not sure what things are gonna cost you, so i suppose all we can do is tell you whats good.