Better Airflow

I was thinking the other day...

Would it be a good idea to have two intakes at the bottom/under the case and two blow-holes on top? Where one of the blow holes would be the PSU. Like the picture below shows.

Model.jpg

I would try to put the PSU further inside the case because I was thinking about making a padded duct to silence some of the air flow sound from the PSU.

Do anyone have any ideas, thoughts, does or don'ts about my idea?

Edited by Loxuz

Well the intake for the gfx card looks good, but i dunno why you dont just keep the PSU in the normal place (top left), put an exhaust right beside the cpu cooler at the back, and an intake at the front, to create a channel of air moving through the case, over the cpu.

post-18501-1220786203_thumb.jpg

Edited by Comp Dude2

That is more or less the way my layout is today, my HDD is bottom right infront of the front fan to keep them cool. There running 30C now. Read some whee that HDD shouldn't run higher than 40C.

I'm a noise freak, so I'm always trying to find a way to quiet down my comp. I found that the PSU is the main noise sort, second the blow-hole (or noise coming up from the blow hole). That's why I was thinking about silencing them in a duct.

Why I don't want any front fans is so that I can pad/sound prof the entire front. => even less sound escaping the box. Same with the side of the box.

Just get quiet fans, the scythes i have (in my sig) are rated for 7.5dB and are the quietest fan's i've come across, the only others getting close rated for 8 and 8.7dB.

I think the padding is a great idea, get plenty of it on the sides and try and reduce vibrations as much as possible. I rekon alot of the noise coming from my case is purely vibrations, dispite having rubberised feet on the case, and setting it on a piece of spare carpet (essentially brand new, so nice and fluffy)

Still, i'd want at least one fan at the front and i think that CM 690 could give you great airflow, with lots of almost silent fans.

Edited by Comp Dude2

hm... maybe. But that wouldn't reduce the noise coming from the PSU. I have tried unplugging all of my fans and I still feel that the PSU makes whey to much noise... I guess a new PSU would be the sane thing to get.

That psu placement looks iffy, but I like the idea of the bottom intakes. I actually cut two holes for 120mm fans on the bottom of my Armor case. Doing so added a nice underglow effect as well! B:)

I think you have a good idea there. At first glance the psu placement seemed a bit off, but after thinking about it you should have some really good airflow like that as long as the psu exhaust has plenty of oomph to offset the extra exhaust buildup. Otherwise you may end up with a really hot psu due to all the heat that will probably end up coming out of that area. The fans on the bottom should go really well, I'll have to keep that in mind for the mod I have planned.