Very Slow Windows Load Bar

GaiusMaxwell

Hey guys, I hope I have the right forum

Anyway, my specs are as below in my sig

I went to an all night lan last night, I transported my fairly heavy pc in the box the case came in, plenty of foam, it sat perfectly stable in the back seat (transported to and from exactly the same way)

I unpacked it and it worked totally fine all night, came time to pack it up and I was very careful as I was taking it there

When I got home I left it for awhile and then decided to set it back up, plugged everything in

I got a successful post beep but no display, I manually turned off the pc and found out it was my monitor power not in properly

So I restarted, now I get the successful post beep, memery test is all ok and then it says "windows did not finish loading etc" (because I restarted earlier) I click load windows normally, the screen freezes on that spot for a good 3 minutes, then a loading bar appears on the bottom (usually takes less than 3 seconds) now I sit and slowly watch it reach the end which takes almost 20 minutes and then the windows xp screen comes up, the 3 blue loading lines go around and around for another 8 minutes then it just restarts and does the exact same process again, I never see another error screen or login screen, I tried safe mode and last known good to the same effect

I have cleared my cmos and done a full check on all the components and connections, changed power points and loaded fail safe defaults in bios, they all do nothing

Does anyone know if this is a software or hardware problem? And how I can fix it =S

Thanx,

Love

Hey guys, I hope I have the right forum

Anyway, my specs are as below in my sig

I went to an all night lan last night, I transported my fairly heavy pc in the box the case came in, plenty of foam, it sat perfectly stable in the back seat (transported to and from exactly the same way)

I unpacked it and it worked totally fine all night, came time to pack it up and I was very careful as I was taking it there

When I got home I left it for awhile and then decided to set it back up, plugged everything in

I got a successful post beep but no display, I manually turned off the pc and found out it was my monitor power not in properly

So I restarted, now I get the successful post beep, memery test is all ok and then it says "windows did not finish loading etc" (because I restarted earlier) I click load windows normally, the screen freezes on that spot for a good 3 minutes, then a loading bar appears on the bottom (usually takes less than 3 seconds) now I sit and slowly watch it reach the end which takes almost 20 minutes and then the windows xp screen comes up, the 3 blue loading lines go around and around for another 8 minutes then it just restarts and does the exact same process again, I never see another error screen or login screen, I tried safe mode and last known good to the same effect

I have cleared my cmos and done a full check on all the components and connections, changed power points and loaded fail safe defaults in bios, they all do nothing

Does anyone know if this is a software or hardware problem? And how I can fix it =S

Thanx,

Love

I would try reseating all components / power connection / cables.

If that doesn't work, try a minimal build outside of the case / inspect your hardware visually...

So it's sounding like it was starting up fine the first time when you manually shut it down? Had a very similar issue with my sister's computer. You can try doing a repair install of Windows, or if you have another PC to use, stick your hard drive in another PC and run chkdsk /r on it. That should take care of everything.

So it's sounding like it was starting up fine the first time when you manually shut it down? Had a very similar issue with my sister's computer. You can try doing a repair install of Windows, or if you have another PC to use, stick your hard drive in another PC and run chkdsk /r on it. That should take care of everything.

I did chkdsk /r and it fixed several problems, initial messages said something about 4,6,7,8 file sectors were unreadable, then it moved all those "orphaned" files to different sectors and fixed the boot sector among other things, it looked very promising but then I took out the hdd I used to run chkdsk and made my main one the primary and I still get the same problem, asks me what type of boot I want, I click last known good or safe mode and it freezes, then loads, then freezes, then loads then restarts all taking half an hour to complete

I should mention that I can hear a constant *tick* sound every 6-7 seconds, happens like clockwork and sounds exactly like the *tick* of an old clock and I am not sure where it is coming from (besides knowing its from something inside the computer)

It isn't my hardware though, I had another hdd in and the whole thing booted and ran fine, and I could access all the files from my broken one but it just won't boot, so im going to try a repair install and maybe a fresh install and hopefully it will rectify it

Edited by Whatislove

I should mention that I can hear a constant *tick* sound every 6-7 seconds, happens like clockwork and sounds exactly like the *tick* of an old clock and I am not sure where it is coming from (besides knowing its from something inside the computer)

CLICK OF DEATH.

Get everything important off of that drive AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It's about to die.

CLICK OF DEATH.

Get everything important off of that drive AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It's about to die.

=(

I've only had this hdd for 8 months, its a samsung 7200rpm 500gig sata drive, the other hdd I put in to run chkdsk is a 5 year old ide drive and it works fine, bleh

Ok I got all my data off luckily and it is still working (for now) its just incredibly slow but now I have another problem =S

My old hdd I am now using is a 160gig ide drive, it was never used in this rig but I got all my mobo/chipset drivers on and everything seems to work fine except when I installed my 8800gt video drivers, mid-way a window popped up and said "the nvidia display panel extension cannot be created. Possible reason include disabled graphics hardware acceleration" and it tells u how to enable it but mine was already enabled and at full, then it finished the installation but reverted my desktop to 4bit color and less than 900x800 resolution, everything is massive and little to no color

I restarted and its the same, I can't change it in display settings and everytime I right click something or try and get into control panel I get spammed with the same nvida display panel window

EDIT: ok I fixed this problem and everything is hunky dorey..besides the fact im now using a 160gig ide hdd =P but ill pick up another drive this weekend and im guna send this broken one back to the guy I bought it off, the place offers a 1yr warranty and its only lasted 8 months =S

Edited by Whatislove

Yeah that "click" would've been good to know beforehand! :lol: I'm glad you got everything off before it took a total dump on you.

lol, i didnt actually notice until quite a bit after i made my post, it was getting louder then i took off the side of the case and u couldnt miss it, id also never heardof the click of death before :S

anyway, the clicky drive is still puttin' along, i just kept it in as my primary hdd to see how long it would last, apart from taking almost 70 minutesto boot into windows and get into the desktop, and taking 15 minutes to open my computer, it actually is still funtional, clicks and all

Yeah that "click" would've been good to know beforehand! :lol: I'm glad you got everything off before it took a total dump on you.

lol, i didnt actually notice until quite a bit after i made my post, it was getting louder then i took off the side of the case and u couldnt miss it, id also never heardof the click of death before :S

anyway, the clicky drive is still puttin' along, i just kept it in as my primary hdd to see how long it would last, apart from taking almost 70 minutesto boot into windows and get into the desktop, and taking 15 minutes to open my computer, it actually is still funtional, clicks and all