Add An Extra 2x1gb Or New 2x2gb?

Well - in my machine, i have 2x1gb GSkill 6400 ram. Now - I'd like to go 4gig, but i've always liked the idea of 2 dimms total due to the fact that more dimms = greater chance of poor overclocker.

if i'm not currently overclocking HEAVILY (Q6600 at 3.3ghz), would the technical benefits outweigh the cost of replacing what i have with a 2x2 setup, or adding an additional 2x1gb?

i'm thinking about this for the extra 2x1gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231087

they run 4-4-4-12, as opposed to the other ones in the similar price range hitting 5-5-5-15.

this is probably what i would get if i went with 2x2gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231122

these run 5-5-5-15, but i'm sure i can toss an extra 1/10th of a volt at them and run 4-4-4-12 :)

Edited by airman

if it were cheap enough i would just opt for the 2x2gig kit...definitely easier on the rest of the rig....;)

i have to agree with bowtie

I had 2 gigs of DDR2 previously and had my 6600 OC'd to 3.0Ghz, i added a third stick of 1gig (same as the others) and it became almost impossible to OC, couldnt get above 2.6 without errors, so i replaced the whole lot with 2x2gig and now its easy as pie to OC (all i need is a decent cooler and i could get way past 2.9, had it at 3.4 before i got temp warnings :P)

this is probably what i would get if i went with 2x2gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231122

Agree with both of them. :withstupid:

I'm currently using the Gskill 2x2gb ram, quite a good ram compared to the price. The max oc i got out of the ram was 1038mhz. But i settled at 910mhz at 5-5-5-17. Just some extra info if you wanted to OC it. ;)

I'd get the 2x2 and add it to the 2x1 you have currently. You shouldn't be over 400 FSB if you're only at 3.3 GHz so that RAM won't be the limiting factor in your OC.

I'd get the 2x2 and add it to the 2x1 you have currently. You shouldn't be over 400 FSB if you're only at 3.3 GHz so that RAM won't be the limiting factor in your OC.

wouldnt be much point using 6gigs if he is running xp though..it only recognizes 3.5gig and using all 4 slots (on xp) would just hinder OCing rather than help it

If you are using vista than you -can- use 6gigs...i guess..but i dont really see the point using anything over 4gig at this point in time

I had 4x1gb Patriot Extreme in my PC about a months ago. To future-proof it, I switched to 2x2gb of the 1066 OCZ Reaper. This way, I have the 2 extra slots open in case I upgrade to more at a later date. I'm not sure of any performance benefits... Some say there is some, and others say I'll never notice it under normal use... Oh well...

wouldnt be much point using 6gigs if he is running xp though..it only recognizes 3.5gig and using all 4 slots (on xp) would just hinder OCing rather than help it

If you are using vista than you -can- use 6gigs...i guess..but i dont really see the point using anything over 4gig at this point in time

i'm running vista ultimate, x64. sorry i didn't mention that earlier.

anyways - i think i'm gonna get the gskill 2x2gb kit.

thanks guys.

*edit*

i saw this kit here is the same price as the PC6400 kit that i ordered. i sent an email in this morning in hopes that they can swap that out for me.

Edited by airman