Suspected Hard Drive Failure

Comp Dude2

Hey, my family refused to boot today. Before getting to the windows loading screen it gives a message about 'hard drive failure imminent , please backup and replace' It has given this message before (which i knew was bad but no proper backup's were made....) but anyway, f1 goes into setup (the bios) and f2 continues. You press F2 and it goes to the windows progress bar which goes on for ages and then the computer just reboots......bad news.

Not sure of all the specs of the motherboard but it is a HP Pavilion. 3.4Ghz P4, 2x 512 PC2-4300, 2x 200gb hdd's Nforce 6200.

Anyway the main question i have is will removed the hard drives, plugging them into my computer, taking the data off them and put them back affect their set up at all? I rekon it is the C: that is failing (since it doesnt boot) And HP have partitioned a bit off the C: to make an E: containing Windows files allowing for a repair installation (I think) And the D: is the other 200gig disk.

The majority of the data is stored on the d: but it would still be pretty disasterous to lose everything from the C: (assuming it still semi-works) The reason i am wondering about removing them is the recovery partition as i would not like it to be messed as we might need it. So would they pop up as 3 drives, in the same arrangement as on the other computer?

thanks guys :)

Removing a hard drive and hooking it up to another computer doesn't hurt anything, as long as you don't delete anything. You could also run a disc check while you had it connected to a healthy system to verify disc condition. You should be able to see everything on the drives, although your computer may assign different drive letters.

I'd just start with your C drive, the D is probably OK as you said. You may be also able to use some software to clone the E recovery partition to a new drive so that you can restore the system, but you'll know what is possible when you hook the drive up. As long as it spins up there's hope.

Edited by Phil