Any Reason Not To Get This?

i'm about to give in and replace my aging 1950xt with a Asus 4850 is there any reason i should not? my plans are to softmod it later in july when the Firegl versions come out and add a Duorb heatsink (stupid heat) since i game very little only play COD2 and CSS once in a while. i will pick up COD4 when realism mods come out. I guess turning up the AA to max might look nice at 1440x900. but really this is for Zbrush since it lags when working with large models, maya too when i have HW shader on.

my other cheaper choice would be HIS 3850 but i dont think its much faster than my current card.

any thoughts? price going to drop soon? (as in within a month)

You can play all games at max 1600x1200 4xAA except crysis ^^
My 2900XT manages to handle Crysis at 1920x1080...I see no reason that a 4850 couldn't.

I already have 2 of these. They are awesome. They have the fan control software that works well. They are a little loud but not enough to bother me. They are also slightly overclocked. I would recommend them. Here is my 3dmark score with 2 ASUS 4850s XFIRE. As far a crysis goes i don't know. I know warhead is supposed to have a more optimized engine so it doesn't destroy your computer like the first crysis.

Edited by InCrYsIs

those scores are double my current card. and i'm using default settings.

well i'll post some benchs when my card comes.

edit: well i cant find the 64x drivers on ATi website...i hope it comes on the cd....

get the 3850, its at least double as powerfull as a 1950 pro so you will definatly notice the difference. I got mine as an exchange by overclockers uk for my broken 1950 pro. The powercolor 256mb 3850 would be easily suficiant if you were on a budget. I get just over 8000 3d marks with it

Edited by Ricky C

i ordered the 4850 because the free shipping + rebate for a total of $90 is gone, i feel for 40 more i can get a card that will last me intill PCIE 2.0 slots are required.

those scores are double my current card. and i'm using default settings.

well i'll post some benchs when my card comes.

edit: well i cant find the 64x drivers on ATi website...i hope it comes on the cd....

Use the "hotfix" drivers that are for XP32/64 or for Vista 32/64. I intially just installed the 8.6 64Bit drivers without a problem but got a boost from the hotfix drivers:

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...uestionID=35298

If you want to see the differences have a look here at my benches:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...15&start=15

Mod that fan profile guys.

well i got my card and did a bench with 3dmark06 and got 10k... so i use the hotfix and now its only 11k, lame iv been seeing people getting 13-14k. i cant be to mad since it was such a cheap upgrade. just about doubling my scores.

anyone think my cpu is holding it back or PCIe 1.0?

i also fix the fan issues since asus comes with a fan program, without it the default is 7% lol which is 76c.

Did you uninstall the old drivers properly using Drive Cleaner Pro before installing the "Hotfix" drivers, they are a complete set of drivers and thus all of the old ones need to be uninstalled properly before installing new ones. I just did a little OC at 700/1050 with 80% Fans and got below.

post-32497-1215146549_thumb.png