9800 GX2 or 9800 GTX?

I am nearing the end of my option to step up to a new card from eVga, and was wondering what would be a better option the GX2 or the GTX? Does anyone know if Nvidia plans to release their next card anytime soon?

companies are always releasing something new. Since Nvidia released nothing but a crappy re-hash of their 8800GT (9800), this is ATI's chance to jump ahead again for a bit with a new release.

As for GX2 EOL...I've heard the exact opposite (unless you are talking about the 7950GX2 which is already EOL) since this is the new path we are being led down (like we are with cpu's going from 3Ghz single cores down to slower dual cores and now look, we are already back to 3Ghz and multiple cores...same thing is happening with gpu's...single gpu fast as can be, now dual gpu's are back in fashion since both ATI and Nvidia are sporting them, and this is the way it's going to be...you don't see cpu's going back to single cores...you won't see gpu's going backwards either pretty soon...)

Doesn't necessarily make it true but this is from someone at nVidia. 9900GTX out the end of June possibly into July. Similar performance and cost as the 9800GX2. The GX2 will be EOL at that time.

Well after doing a little research I found that the 9800GTX isnt much faster than the 8800GTS G92. It will cost me $288.15 to get the GX2, I figured that is cheaper than buying a 780i SLI board and another GTS. So I am gonna wait it out as long as I can and see if the price drops on the GX2.

Doesn't necessarily make it true but this is from someone at nVidia. 9900GTX out the end of June possibly into July. Similar performance and cost as the 9800GX2. The GX2 will be EOL at that time.

I hope you are right on the performance ratio because if the 9900GTX will be able to out pace the 9800GX2 than it makes the 9800GTX the worst buy of the year! :sweat:

IMO my next upgrade.. another 88GTX.. i mean. its cheap now. like 200$ used.

even though i OC my cpu.. after using quad so long, i really dont need to OC

i might as well just go back to SLI instead of p35

also, the bandwidth of the 9800s cant match the 88gtx

i ran 3dmark06 for the hell of it last night.

stock speeds, 575/900

it scored 13650...

Guest DaddyD302

I think you should wait till Nvidia comes out with their next gen card. Could it be the 9900GTX? Your card is plenty fast enough and if you insist, just get another GTS and SLI it, when the prices drop on them. I'm curious to see what the 9900GTX is all about and if it's Nvidia's next gen card or not. If I was you I would wait.

Well, i thought that the 9800GX2 was two 8800GTS' pretty much. Anyhow yes nVIDIA is going to update their lineup so don't even bother grabbing anything now for two reasons. Prices will drop i'm sure on the Geforce 8 series, or there is a better card in the Geforce 9 series lineup, and no not the 9600GT, hehe.