OpenOffice.org

nice_shoes

I agree that it's terribly slow...but it's so platform agnostic that it makes sense in a lot of cases for programmers to use.

Have you tried using a different JRE? There are multiple companies out there that make JREs...you might try JRockit.

I have used OO Suite for several years. The thing that I like about it is, it recognizes MS documents; although MS doesn't recognize OO docs. MS wouldn't want to admit that there is a suite as good or better than theirs.

I think Office 2k7 will open .odt docs now.

I agree that it's terribly slow...but it's so platform agnostic that it makes sense in a lot of cases for programmers to use.

Have you tried using a different JRE? There are multiple companies out there that make JREs...you might try JRockit.

I'd rather java crap itself while dying (a la Cartman and South Park in the WalMart episode haha) than install it on my rigs.

But once again, I do have it installed on teh Vista-64 bit side of my main rig...but since these days I'm mostly gaming on it (and doing my homework on my old POS IBM 700Mhz P3 + 512MB RAM laptop), it rarely sees teh Vista side. (I feel about Java the same as I do about Vista...)