Gigabyte DS3R Northbridge Cooling

What do you guys think about the heatsink on the DS3R northbridge?

I've seen several reports that the northbridge on the DS3Ls gets uncomfortably hot. Is this a problem with the DS3Rs as well? Mine is on it's way, but it'll be a few days before I get to start playing with it.

I notice the heatsink on the DS3R looks significantly larger, so I hope it's enough. If not what are the alternatives? It looks like the mounting holes are spaced much further apart, so slapping an Evercool VC-RE on there doesn't look to be an option. I guess I could dig out an old cpu heatsink and steal the small fan off of it and bolt it on top of the existing heatsink.

Man I'm getting excited, putting together new systems is almost as much fun as playing on them afterwards :)

I wouldn't worry about it that much, since the HS from the R edition is much larger than the L edition. I'm looking at my temps right now, and i see chipset temp well under 40c. So you're good to go, and have fun building your new system. I know how it feels like he-he....

I got the DS3L, and that sucker got quite hot when benching at 3.36GHz but it never gave me any issues, you should be fine with the bigger heat sink. Can't hurt to get a nice after market cooler either though ;)

My DS3R NB gets to about 45C when playing Crysis and will idle around the 40 I would really like to get it lower, I have a small fan against it but It doesn't seem to make a difference.

BTW I am at 3.3GHz 24/7.

I haven't installed speedfan yet to check the NB temps. During my testing so far the heatsink isn't even getting warm to the touch, at most the top is barely above ambient.

Is it worth popping it off, cleaning things up and replacing the stock paste? Anyone done it to see if there are any complications? From what I can tell it just uses the standard white pushpins.

Speed fan doesn't report any of my temps correctly. I use Everest Ultimate, best monitoring program I have ever used, Version 4.20 will display the P35 info correctly.

Good to know. Everest no longer has a free version do they? I used it a good while back, but checking out there page now I don't see a free version unless it's well hidden.

I haven't installed speedfan yet to check the NB temps. During my testing so far the heatsink isn't even getting warm to the touch, at most the top is barely above ambient.

Is it worth popping it off, cleaning things up and replacing the stock paste? Anyone done it to see if there are any complications? From what I can tell it just uses the standard white pushpins.

Yeah I put AS5 under it but temps are exactly the same, plus I was a bit heavy handed and stressed the board and luckily they repaired it on an RMA took a month though.