networking my printer q?

Hey guys I hope this is the right place for this but anywho here's my problem. My main pc is in my room with the modem and router and down in the basement is where I have my lappy(dell e1705) and printer(dell 1815dn) what I would like to know is how could I go about printing something from my main pc upstairs?

Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the printer properties, got to the sharing tab and check the box to share the printer across the network. then on the other machine go to my network places, click on show workgroup computers, open the networked computer to which the printer is attached, then double-click the shared printer to install it on that machine.

Edti: BTW, both computers should already be set up on the same workgroup with file and printer sharing enabled for this to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I have on occasion gotten that error in XP. Sometimes the network wizzard is finicky in making the settings, so I always run through it twice; the first time setting the workgroup to the default and to what I want it to be the second time around.

if the computer with the printer has a static IP, then you could also try navigating to the computer in explorer with the IP (e.g. type 192.168.0.50 into the address bar) then load the shared resource.

XP firewall will stop access. Sometimes it takes forever for the settings to take and XP to find the network. Reboots help but even then it could take time. Usually XP networks flawlessly but sometimes it feels like black magic and takes boiled frog legs and witch hairs. Be sure the computers have different names and both are logged on to the same network and at least one folder is shared.

When it doesn't work it drives you crazy but is usually something simple or just a time to find the network issue.

Try to ping the ip of that computer through cmd prompt or run Angry Ip Scanner.

I have had times when I simply gave up only to find the network mysteriously working two days later. (serious hair pulling involved)

Have you ran the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard on both computers?

To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Communications, and then click Network Setup Wizard.

As you are prompted along by the setup wizard, make sure to enable File and Printer Sharing Options and the wizard "should" configure the Windows Firewall to allow that type of access and communication between both machines (assuming you are using the Windows Firewall)

If you are using a third party Firewall solution, make sure to configure the system service and/or protocol to allow Microsoft File and Printer sharing.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

a small note

screw the xp network setup wizard, do everything manually, so much better

to setup file sharing, right click the folder (with sharing already off) click properties, go to the sharing tab, and u'll see a link,

filesharing02.gif

click it, and click "yes enable anyway"

make sure the other users can change files, so there should be 2 checkboxes checked

for printers, just go to the pc with the printer, right click printer, click sharing, and setup from there

from personal experience the network setup "wizard" has been a pain in my butt

just some advice ;), and dont get me started on vistas file sharing oy vey

XP firewall will stop access. Sometimes it takes forever for the settings to take and XP to find the network. Reboots help but even then it could take time. Usually XP networks flawlessly but sometimes it feels like black magic and takes boiled frog legs and witch hairs. Be sure the computers have different names and both are logged on to the same network and at least one folder is shared.

When it doesn't work it drives you crazy but is usually something simple or just a time to find the network issue.

Try to ping the ip of that computer through cmd prompt or run Angry Ip Scanner.

I have had times when I simply gave up only to find the network mysteriously working two days later. (serious hair pulling involved)

Ok now my dumb question for the day how do I know or check if they are both on the same network

Have you ran the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard on both computers?

To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Communications, and then click Network Setup Wizard.

As you are prompted along by the setup wizard, make sure to enable File and Printer Sharing Options and the wizard "should" configure the Windows Firewall to allow that type of access and communication between both machines (assuming you are using the Windows Firewall)

If you are using a third party Firewall solution, make sure to configure the system service and/or protocol to allow Microsoft File and Printer sharing.

and 2 I'm using zonealarm the free one how do I go about what your saying

Ok now my dumb question for the day how do I know or check if they are both on the same network

it's actually the workgroup that should be the same

in the control panel, open the system, then click on the computer name tab; it'll list the workgroup in there (you can manually change it by clicking on the change button).

it's actually the workgroup that should be the same

in the control panel, open the system, then click on the computer name tab; it'll list the workgroup in there (you can manually change it by clicking on the change button).

Ok I just checked both computers and the workgroup name is the same, this is really starting to tick me off.

try changing to something else, then back to what you want.

Ok tried that and still nothing, now I'm ready to bash something to tiny bits.

edit: ok I just went down to my laptop where the printer is connected and tried what was said in the second post with going to my network places and then view workgroup computers and I get the error msg http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5929/neterror2kh8.jpg