networking my printer q?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't used Zone Alarm Free for a few years now. So I'm not in any position to offer advice on how to properly configure it for network communications. BUT, since you are already behind a router (what router by the way), it may be completely safe to forego the Zone Alarm Firewall.

You're error message is pretty classic for blocked network shares caused by a software firewall.

I'd uninstall Zone Alarm Free Edition, make sure Windows Firewall is turned off and then see if you get the same error message.

On my home network I've got a mix of AVG AV/Firewall on three computers and Windows Firewall working on another three laptops and I have seamless network connectivity between all of the PC's and printers on my home network.

Try disabling all firewall apps (Windows or 3rd Party) and see if you can get the network up and running. And while I have great respect for SuppA and his technical expertise - I've never had any problems running the Windows Network Setup Wizard as long as you make the right choices along the way.

Now that you mention it wevs, I think you're right that it's a firewall app; I can recall when I did use norton firewall (yeah I know) you had to allow traffic to/from other machines on the network otherwise that error would pop up.

There are plenty of members, mods and admins around here that wouldn't even mess with a software firewall if all of the computers are already running behind a good router. Here's a quote from our fearless leader;

1. NAT router w/firewall

2. XP SP2

3. Anti-Virus (something good like Kaspersky or NOD32, I wouldn't recommend anything else)

4. FF + NoScript

I haven't used Zone Alarm Free for a few years now. So I'm not in any position to offer advice on how to properly configure it for network communications. BUT, since you are already behind a router (what router by the way), it may be completely safe to forego the Zone Alarm Firewall.

You're error message is pretty classic for blocked network shares caused by a software firewall.

I'd uninstall Zone Alarm Free Edition, make sure Windows Firewall is turned off and then see if you get the same error message.

On my home network I've got a mix of AVG AV/Firewall on three computers and Windows Firewall working on another three laptops and I have seamless network connectivity between all of the PC's and printers on my home network.

Try disabling all firewall apps (Windows or 3rd Party) and see if you can get the network up and running. And while I have great respect for SuppA and his technical expertise - I've never had any problems running the Windows Network Setup Wizard as long as you make the right choices along the way.

My router is linksys wrt54gx4, and I took your advice and unistalled ZA on the pc upstairs and something amazing happened it worked, so I reinstalled ZA and I'll double check it when I get home and then I also have to redo my ext hd because right now it show up disconnected.

Ok now my dumb question for the day how do I know or check if they are both on the same network

Sounds like you have it going. If you go to system properties there is an option to change computer name and/or log on to domain. This will let you know the names you are currently using and allow change if you want.

I agree about running firewalls. I don't do it when behind my own router. But then I don't run resident virus scan either so don't listen to me.

I run a sniffer once in awhile to check if some mysterious traffic is happening and I will do an occasional virus scan (by my own choosing). This is not for everyone but has worked for me since 1982 and my first Apple IIe.

Either that, or figure out how to configure ZA Free Edition to allow network traffic on your side of the router.

Refer to post #16

According to none other than Angry himself, a software firewall isn't necessary if you meet the four conditions outlined up there.

Me, I'm anal and run AVG or Windows Firewall anyway, but then again, neither of them throws up a road block for my internal network traffic.

Surely there is a way in ZA Free to identify the ip addresses of computers you trust and allow unlimited network traffic between the two. You'll have to Google it, or wait for someone to swing by here who uses the ZA Free Firewall.

Ok so I tried it with ZA reinstalled and it won't work, is it safe to uninstall ZA and just leave it up to my router?

It depends on your definition of safe. A router will not allow something in from the outside unless you request it. If you run or initiate something from your side, a program containing a virus for example, your router does not stop this. A software firewall may catch this rogue program trying to initiate.

I can't imagine putting up with the irritation of running a software firewall, especially on a local network. I have tried a few but they end up in the same trash bin as Vista. But if you are more comfortable with a firewall use it. There is definitely more safety using one. The safety comes at a price in time and effort maintaining the firewall.

You should be able to set up the firewall to allow you to use the network. It has been so long since I've run one I don't remember the steps. There will be the usual work maintaining permissions and this all becomes more involved as you use a network.

Some people like Outpost better than ZoneAlarm http://www.outpostfirewall.com/guide/

Its been a while since I used the free one but if you can do this then it will work, go to Firewall->Zones -> Add IP and add it to the trusted zone, do this on both PC's with each others IP that the router assigned them, then set the firewall sliders thus, internet full way up and trusted half way and as long as your network is setup right it should work.

I always use a software firewall as you need some kind of control over outbound traffic and a router will only stop inbound.

Its been a while since I used the free one but if you can do this then it will work, go to Firewall->Zones -> Add IP and add it to the trusted zone, do this on both PC's with each others IP that the router assigned them, then set the firewall sliders thus, internet full way up and trusted half way and as long as your network is setup right it should work.

I always use a software firewall as you need some kind of control over outbound traffic and a router will only stop inbound.

That did it, all I can say is finally!:beer