Gigabyte Dvd Drive

Special_K

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1488

This is an article about the new Gigabyte DVD-rom. It seems to be a new attempt at joining DVD with all the entertainment perks that you might want, including a FM Radio. Plus it looks pretty good, and the graphic piece is pretty cool. What do you all think; what would you pay for something like this? (if at all)

Edited by Special_K

Im always leary of hardware that does too much and looks too slick. I want a DVD drive to be functional, and if I want nifty graphics with it, I download software to give me nifty graphics. Something on that drive will break, and then you'll have to live with a partially functioning drive or send it back and be without it for god knows how long, just to have the LCD screen, which you dont need anyway, fixed.

I'll stick with my $45 function DVD drive.

A few people in here expressed interest in having an FM Tuner in their comp, either by putting in an in-dash car stereo or something, so my guess is there ARE consumers out there that will love this product. I have a stereo near my comp, so if i really wanted to listen to the radio, i'd just use that than "use up resources" on my comp. Although, since it can run without the comp on, it may not use any resources, so it isn't that bad of an idea.

I was just in my dad's car yesterday, an Infiniti G35 :) !, and he told me that for some radio stations, the name of the song currently playing will scroll across the lcd...this is with a regular FM tuner, and not satelite. He's only found one radio station that we listen to that does it so far (Z100 for you NY metropolitan area people), so it must be a station thing. A lot of others "broadcast" the name of their station, but not the song. It would be nice if this dvd rom could pick up those signals or whatever it is that transmits the songnames.