Topped out on 3800 X2 ..?

I meant that with certain dividers, everything will hang or reboot after "verifying dmi pool data".

It's not random, as in actually random, I just don't happen to know exactly what settings cause certain dividers to work or not work at different speeds.

There you go, that makes sense.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my X2 3800+ at 2.7ghz as well.

270 x 10, 1.45V

ram @ 225mhz (2-3-2-5) ocz platinum, 1T timing

HTT @ 1350mhz (stable up to 1500mhz!)

idle 40, load 60, under a scynth ninja.

on a A8R32-MVP

Turn Cool-n-Quiet off. It worked for me up to about 2.6ghz, once I upped the voltage even a bit it started causing crashes. I suggest, if you want to use cool-n-quiet, get a much faster processor that you can live with at stock speeds. C-N-Q is NOT FOR OVERCLOCKERS.

I have 2 x HD3870's on this board, but they are not performing to their full extent. I only get 11000 3dm06, even with crossfire working well. The setup is obviously CPU/platform limited, so i will be getting a 790FX board next week. I scored almost the same (9800) with 2 x x1950pro's on this board.

Turn Cool-n-Quiet off. It worked for me up to about 2.6ghz, once I upped the voltage even a bit it started causing crashes. I suggest, if you want to use cool-n-quiet, get a much faster processor that you can live with at stock speeds. C-N-Q is NOT FOR OVERCLOCKERS.

You do know that CnQ defaults to 1.4V, so if you it set without the +vid special you will only get 1.4V. Because you need to set vcore to auto to work. If you use CnQ you need to do some research thats why everyone recomends leaving it off, like if you use high voltage ram then it can harm your cpu also.

Man those temps are high for me, 40cidle and 60c load??? hot!

I have a hard time seeing 50c load, it makes me nervous.

I have had 5 dual 939 Opterons (2-165s, 3-170s) and from my personal experience some run hot and others run cool. Two of the 170s ran at 11+ different ranges between cores and from others in the past I have talked with this was not that rare. Only one I had did 3ghz and at low vcore 1.375v with an idle of 29c on one core 38c on the other but I could never get it stable past 2950mhz. The one core would just go to high under load 63c+. Eventually i put it on water "naked" and even then that one high core just wouldn't stabilize past 3ghz.

In an Antec 900 one of 170s with as5 just would not cool down past 36c idle 58c load w/ a lapped Arctic Freezer pro. The 3 Optys I still have 2-170s and one 165 (all CCBBE steppings) are 2.8+ clockers, low vcore chips, and have even core temps; but only one of the 170s will idle below 30c. Both of the others would be what I call hot running chips.

I am moving on as I pass my fastest 939 rig to my daughter (my A8R32mvp). I will be going with an Intel Quad rig on a DFI X38 board. I like where AMD is going with the Phenom but I want an error free rig even if its only with running virtualization. I love my power hungry HD2900xt, but once the new 3870x2's become fully pci/e 2.0 compliant I am going to CF a couple of them on it. Going to put some 3850's in it eventually for her.

@chubbfatazn those ballistix finally gave out recently and I got z503.16TF4Y CL1118G.3Z. These are recent from Crucial rma and at ddr400 speeds I can run them at 2,2,2,5. They hit 287 at 2.9v 1t 3,4,4,8. The heatspreaders are a little different too, they don't go across the top all the way like my old ones. Can't find anyone else who has this revision. Haven't been around here in awhile hope your doing well.

@chubbfatazn those ballistix finally gave out recently and I got z503.16TF4Y CL1118G.3Z. These are recent from Crucial rma and at ddr400 speeds I can run them at 2,2,2,5. They hit 287 at 2.9v 1t 3,4,4,8. The heatspreaders are a little different too, they don't go across the top all the way like my old ones. Can't find anyone else who has this revision. Haven't been around here in awhile hope your doing well.

Hey! Long time no see.

I myself am on my third pair of Ballistix. I'm only worried about how long Crucial will continue to make these sticks, once they stop I'm out a 939 rig.

My latest revision is .16TD2Y. Strange how your heatspreaders don't go across the top like you said. Do they have clamps? Since they don't go all the way across the top, I'd imagine they'd be stuck only by a strip of thermal tape.

I'm off to re-overclock my system, again, lol. I hope that your set lasts longer than mine did, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah no clamps just thermal tape or some adhesive TIM maybe. With the tight timings its weird but for everyday stuff like browsing and such, it flies through the pages and load times are super quick in certain apps (not games mind you).

I have gone over to the darkside, got me a Q6600 for $199 at Micron Center. Going to pair it with a Gygabyte X48 board as soon as they are released. I still am strictly ATI with my GPU's (the new x38/x48 has pci/e 2.0 and dual x16 expansion) and I can't wait for the fully pci/e 2.0 compliant HD3870 X2 and CrossfireX on the new setup (getting the new gpus is going to be abit, my 2900Xt will do fine for now).

I am looking forward to playing with new tech but I love my 939 rigs. I think AMD gave up on it to soon. They could have focused fabbing for 939 and developed AM2/AM2+, and phenom with more focus I feel they could have could competed better IMHO. Quad FX and s940 were busts. Plus I think buying ATI was kinda dumb this early in the game. They have what 3 to 5 fabs to Intels 10+?

Good luck in your overclocking will check in periodically.