Dual Core or Quad Core Model.

Need some help picking a processor for a new build.

Picked up some great deals in the FOR SALE section.

So kudos to all the guys I purchased from :)

And those that put up with my posts :D

Processor will be used with the following components:

DFI LI LP P35 T2R (mostly because of the cosmetics and great deal from ooeric)

Zalman CNPS 9700 LED (stolen from pleasekillme)

Corsair HX-620 (thanks to schoolslave)

XFX 8800GT 512 (still on stock cooling)

4 SATA HDDs (thinking 3x250 RAID 0 for movies and media and the OSes on the Western Digital WD4000AAKS)

2 x 1Gb GSkill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ (read really, really good things about these, hope it's true)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135578

All in my Antec 900 which currently runs very cool.

Not really a gamer, but it's not unusual for me to be working on a spreadsheet while surfing teh InterwebZ and watching a movie (Dual Monitors) or listening to music.

I'd love to hit a 8 hour stable OC (on Air with the Zalman) of 3.6GHz

I'm not really sure why, but that is the number in my head.

I certainly see the benefits of a quad core, but the Dual Cores seem like a great deal.

Pre-Driven E6600 around $150 (OEM)

New E6750 for $180ish at the Egg (Retail)

New Q6600 for $275 Retail (prefer to stay in the $200 range)

or wait for the E8400 ($183 projected)

Or are there other CPUs that can get me there?

I know, Praz, raju, mknwatt, and a lot of others have had experience with the DFI board.

Anyone tried the 12-24 BIOS for it?

Words of wisdom (or condolences)

How about the RAM? Good choice/Bad choice?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Crazy Carl

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl,

The following screenshot was done with the NB set to 1.41V and VTT set to 1.20. All GTLs were left disabled.

http://www.edgeofstability.com/images/p35/misc/535x7_b.jpg

A q6600 at 3600MHz will require somewhere close to 1.60V for both the NB and VTT and manual adjustment of GTLs. The board can handle these voltages for 24/7 use though.

3600MHz is about the practical limit for a Q6600 on any board for stable 24/7 use. Any higher requires pushing the components a bit too far. The limit for a dual-core is going to be the FSB wall of the processor.

Praz to the rescue!

Thanks John.

Not sure if my air cooling would be good enough with that much voltage.

Just downloaded the manual for the DFI and I'm pretty nervous already.

(I just heard that MBM5 doesn't work on it, frikken' Great)

Any thoughts on e6750 or e6850 or e8400?

I can probably make it another month or so without a processor (maybe).

Everest to the rescue. :)

The screenshot I posted was done on air - Extreme 120. If you can hold out the E8400 or 8500 should be the processor to have. Hopefully a 8500 will be showing up here soon to see what it actually does.

Praz, what would be the limits of the Q6600 G0 on the DFI 680i? (NB, SB, and CPU under water)

Depends how hard a person wants to push. 3.6 is a good rule of thumb for any board when talking 27/7 Prime or Linpack stable. But for 24/7 stability with the programs we actually use the speed is higher.

Man, the e8300/e8400/e8500 look like they may be the way to go for me.

Anyone know the latest availability date?

Suppose to be the 20th of this month. Wouldn't surprise me though if easy availability and actual retail price isn't more like Feb.

Suppose to be the 20th of this month. Wouldn't surprise me though if easy availability and actual retail price isn't more like Feb.

I think that is a more realistic timescale as well. In the UK i don't think we expect them until the middle of Feb, if it's earlier then that's a bonus. Go for the 8500 Carl, you know it makes sense :)

Jebus, I'm not sure I can wait until the 20th, much less February.

Go for the 8500 Carl, you know it makes sense

Really, I though e8400 was 3.0G and a little over $200

The e8500 only 3.16G and 0.5 multi increase for another $125 ($330)

I haven't even made it all the way to the darkside yet and I am stressing.:)

Really, I though e8400 was 3.0G and a little over $200 The e8500 only 3.16G and 0.5 multi increase for another $125 ($330)

Of course your right, I was thinking more of myself than you( engage brain before fingers :) ). On air the E8400 would be a very good bet indeed, and as you said $200. Hardly going to break the bank i would have thought.

I haven't even made it all the way to the darkside yet and I am stressing.:)

I don't know how long you've been "stressing", but i went through 3months of it before i "jumped". Once done, you'll wonder why you did'nt do it even earlier :)

Prices on Dual Cores are fantastic ATM and the G.Skill NQ's are an absolute steal. I suppose it depends on how often you upgrade as to what you should get. If its 6 month to a year before you upgrade again then I would say spend as little as possible and have fun OCing an inexpensive dual core. But if its a case (like me) of a 3 or even 4 year upgrade then I would get a Quad of some sort. Kit is 100% right dude, you will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner. Good luck my friend