Dual Core or Quad Core Model.

if i was you I'd roll with the E4300, just because i like to go for chips which can become something much faster than they are stock, and you don't pay for their clocking potential! Besides, as far as i can tell an 4300 and a 6600 or any of them clock to all similarly respectable speeds. Plus clocking a 4300 you get faster memory speeds if you leave it 1:1, so you do end up paying more for a good board and good ram, but most people do this anyways, and i heard the newer Intel boards are no longer hitting a fsb wall, unless dropping below 8xmulti, or doing HUGE over clocks 1;1 with like Ln2 or Dice

the one and only thing i fancy about DDr2 is that fact that I can overclock the fsb a ton and still run 1;1, luckily i have an amd and dont need to worry about this, but i remember this problem back in my earlier intel days while on DDR, and running a divider on intels hurts performance, whereas on AMD it does not.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still nervous about the upcoming build.:)

I decided to put an E8400 on Pre-Order (3.0G) instead of the Q6600

so the rig should be comprised of this:

(the only things I can consider changing are the CPU and RAM)

DFI LI LP P35 T2R (mostly because of the UV cosmetics and a great deal from ooeric)

Zalman CNPS 9700 LED (stolen from pleasekillme)

Corsair HX-620 (thanks to schoolslave)

XFX 8800GT 512 (still on stock cooling, ordering another VF-900)

4 SATA HDDs (thinking 3x250 RAID 0 for movies and media and the OSes on the Western Digital WD4000AAKS)

2 x 1Gb GSkill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ (read really, really good things about these, hope it's true)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=135578

NEC (ND3550A flashed to Liggy's 1Y3)

All in my Antec 900 (SR-1) which currently runs very cool.

Anyone used the GSkill and DFI mobo combination?

Possible issues with above components?

E8400 vs Q6600 (just can't see using all the cores)

Tips, tweaks, condolences?

Help ease an oldfaht's fears and let me know what you think of it.

your buddy,

Nervous Nelly N00bster

Dude you know more about this stuff than 99% of us all lol. But to ease your mind I think you have chosen a great build.

LOL, you must be talkin' to Praz, kitfit1, bcbooter or the other smart guys.

New chipset, new DDR2 RAM, new Intel CPU = new n00b :D

Well I feel better that you didn't tell me I was totally fugged from the get go.

And I know you've had some great experiences on the "DarkSide".

Just a little nervous about the RAM and Mobo working together

(actually I always get butterflies with ANY new DFI board with ANY RAM) :)

Lawdy, these new processors don't even have pins on them!

That will be a "stonkin" rig Sound. Don't worry about everything being new to you. It's a very, very easy platform to clock on. Much easier than the NF4's or NF2's. The ram you have chosen will be fine as well. Again, Intel's arn't as picky with ram as some peeps think. Although the DFI still is'nt all that happy with cheap rubbish, the ram you have chosen dos'nt fall into that catagory, so it should see you flying :)

My son's 165 Opty (my old rig) died today.I happened to have a Gigabyte

GA-965P-S3 layin around collecting dust so I went to Microcenter and picked up an E2160 with some OCZ 2x1gb pc6400 mem.Bam! 334x9 stock cooler stock volts in an Antec 900.Great little chip for his gaming rig.