Calling all CAD/CAM users

radodrill

Since this site is now all about DIY and we're starting to get more into modding as well; I'd like to try to get some content together to focus on 3D solids modeling.

Most forums that focus of computers and PC modding have little or no content on modeling even so a lot of people use it to plan their mods.

I'd like to produce tutorials/guides to show the basic skills of modeling, assemblies, and possibly engineering drawings of the individual parts; if possible a guide to address each major CAD package. We can also start a discussion thread for people who might need some hand-holding to get started or have some questions along the way.

To make it easier to follow I propose we come up with an outline structure and all follow that layout for each particular package; preferably with a separate post for each section of the guide.

The Packages I'd like to see covered are:

1) PTC Professional Engineer (Pro/E)

2) Autodesk Inventor

3) Solidworks

4) possibly AutoCAD (primarily 2D work though)

5) and Google Sketchup since that's what a large group of modders uses

I've started using Pro/E Wildfire 3.0 since last summer and have some experience with AutoCAD; but am by no means fully versed in all they have to offer. That said, I do know the basic tools that would be necessary to start modeling (some pics of my models are in my RAD-GT case log as well as soundx98's Antec 900 log) and am planning on creating a beginners guide to using Pro/E in the near future.

Anyone who'd be interested in helping out in writing beginners and/or advanced guides to using and of these utilities please post here and/or PM me.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations or ideas on what they'd like to see covered (or other software packages to address) please post in this thread as well.

We may even consider making an archive of parts for various common PC components; such as fans, radiators, pumps, etc.

Proposed outline for modeling guides

Introductory post with table of contents

1. Application Overview
  2. Sketching
  3. Parts Modeling

1. Extrudes
    2. Revolves
    3. Patterns
    4. Rounds, Chamfers, Fillets
    5. Holes
    6. Datum Planes/Axes

[*] Assemblies

• Part Placement & Constraints

[*] Engineering/Dimensioned Drawings

Roster (who's doing what)

I've been using Solidworks off an on for a while now, so I might be able to write a guide on how to do basic modeling (extrusions, revolves, bosses, and other nifty features).

I've used AutoCAD, but my use has been limited to floor plans, and other two-dimensional sketches.

Sadly, it seems that the only CAD packages available to students here is in our mechanical design laboratory (Pro/E, only - so, I'll figure out some of the basic of this package, but probably not enough to be too helpful). I'll probably end up buying the student version of Solidworks.

The thing I like about Solidworks, with the newer versions I have used, has been the toolboxes for lots of standard components. IE, standard and metric screws, bolts, gears and so forth. As well as the inclusion of custom size / spec versions of their standard libraries.

Not sure how much functionality or what is included with the student version, but I'm sure I'll find out quickly enough. I'll purchase it over Christmas in preparation for classes next semester. It's only $70 for a 2 year license, providing proof of student-ness. I'll probably pick up the package with COSMOS, because I'll need access to some FEM code.

Creation Engine link for Solidworks

I will help with Autocad where I can.

Which reminds me, I have to draw a crime scene up for my final in Autocad, I shall share with you afterwards (even if it is simple)

edit:

Forgot to add my reason of posting.

If you guys do want to get a collection of models and stuff, I have a large, empty webserver that I can host stuff on.

Just shoot me a pm or email until I get something set up for uploading.

I can do basic assemblies, parts and drawings in both autocad and inventor. Although I have a feeling you're probably looking for someone more advanced.

Also I know how to export files for CNC mills and CNC lathes directly from autocad/inventor.

(I used to have to build gears and frames for our supermilage car. 360MPG Baby!)

I can do basic assemblies, parts and drawings in both autocad and inventor. Although I have a feeling you're probably looking for someone more advanced.

Also I know how to export files for CNC mills and CNC lathes directly from autocad/inventor.

(I used to have to build gears and frames for our supermilage car. 360MPG Baby!)

Well my Pro/E skills are on par with your inventor skills then. for now I'd like to see some beginner level content that'd be useful for people to start modeling their mods.

Trying to test the waters here and see how much interest there is around here for modeling. Maybe at some point also have a more advanced discussion thread.

Send me a PM if you want me to write some basic stuff and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Here's a couple of my basic drawings that I've done.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/sh...teel/Symbol.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/sh...teel/handle.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/sh.../frontbadge.jpg

The first was done for a member of the forums here.

The last two ended up being built for a friends mod.

hey I can do some kick butt 2d stuff, but my drafting class never got into the 3D

I am using the trial of TurboCad right now.

Different from how I learned, but its a great program, and for 150 bucks, it could be worth it (I don't do much modeling)

To keep this ordered (and avoid redundant content) I'm starting a Roster of who's doing what in the first post

Please post here and I'll update the roster accordingly. If any of you want do collaborate on certain topics that's up to you.

For the time being this thread can also serve as a discussion thread on all things CAD related.