building a pc for my brother in law.

Dan42684

whoa! lots of info! Thanks a bunch andy, I'll have my bro in law check it out around christmas time and see if he has questions. Once I figure out how he wants to go then I'll have questions if there's something I"m not familiar with. BTW Andy, love your avatar!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

if he's doing music/cad i'd suggest a 2600 xt with 512 ram, then flash it to fire gl version. turns a 100$ card into a 400$ card. should outperform any of these that you guys put on, in cad/etc.

regular old gaming cards dont do very well for those kind of things :angel:

if he's doing music/cad i'd suggest a 2600 xt with 512 ram, then flash it to fire gl version. turns a 100$ card into a 400$ card. should outperform any of these that you guys put on, in cad/etc.

regular old gaming cards dont do very well for those kind of things :angel:

how do you flash it to FireGL?

how do you flash it to FireGL?

DO NOT be flashing damn cards to something else and voiding warranty. This is your brother's rig, not yours, and unless you want to be stuck either paying for . that gets messed up (thanks to you 'modding' it), or you want to be the 24/7 support guy and always have to be doing the support thing, I suggest you do NOT modify/flash/nothing and just build him a great machine that is stable, reliable, and will perform.

PS if he's doing music, there's ABSOLUTELY ZERO REASON TO HAVE A 2600XT OR NEED 512MB RAM ON THE VIDEO CARD.

ZERO.

as for CAD, you don't need more than the 8600GT because

A. 8600GT will do everything you need it to for CAD

B. your brother doesn't do CAD 24/7/365 (if he did, we'd be building him a WORKSTATION, not a home-brew rig)

for power supply, one of the strongest + quietest = Corsair HX-620. A bit spendy, but I am using one in my main rig. Wouldn't give it up for nothing.