I still dont get overclocking

btw.. WOW I just did what you said wevsspot. I put a 1x1cm heatsink on the PWMIC-chip and just that lowered the temperature from about 65c to 55c. Now I installed a big 120mm fan at the front of the chassis so It's helping out ofc, but my CPUtemp is 44c during load and the PWMIC is 48c. :D great thing.

Im going to use the method that you spoke of as well, using prime95 for some time to let the adhesives stick to the chip. I didn't clean it or anything because i dont have more thermaltape. It's been in a box and still sticky after 3 years so I just put it on and it seems like it's stuck pretty good =)

This will definately allow me to OC some more because now the CPU-fan actually gets fresh air to blow on the CPU, and not warm air. So stupid of me to never think of this before :P

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep,

Sinking the pwmic is a really great cooling mod for your board. Glad you saw some improvements in temp.

Keep us posted while you travel along this overclocking adventure.

Back to testing for a minute. You passed eight hours of memtest at the settings you note above, but the PC is hanging on a memory error? Memtest should have detected most memory errors when you ran it.

I realize to say it was due to memory error was dumb because what happened twice during 24h was that the game i was playing froze up, and every 10 sec the mouse responded to its movements..

the second time was when I was inside the riva ntune-settings..

I realize that this could be anything really, because Im among other things using a beta GFX-driver to improve performance in Crysis.

Sorry to draw attention to that before actually having proof.

Hemidare: how the heeeell :P

U have a 144 and you reach 3ghz. You also OC'd your RAMS, which are identical to mine, about 15mhz above mine.

One thing tho:

Chip Set Voltage Control...................... - 1.52v

DRAM Voltage Control.......................... - 2.71v

Does the chipset voltincrease help for both cpu and ram stability?

And most important. How the hell can you put the ram to 2.71 lol and still get them up that high? :P I tried mine at 2.8 and they were instable at 250mhz. I mean, very instable.

I've obviously reached the limit that my CPU can handle while being stable: 2.6ghz @ 1.375V. I tried to set the volt to 1.5 and reach 2.8 which isnt that much of a big step from 2.6, and it failed ORTHOS after 4 seconds. I dont dare to go higher with aircooling so :P

I thought that CPUs could clock as high as they want until the volt blows the CPU. I was wrong perhaps :P

Hemidare: how the heeeell :P

U have a 144 and you reach 3ghz. You also OC'd your RAMS, which are identical to mine, about 15mhz above mine.

:P

Try changing your CPC (Command rate) setting to 2 and the CAS to 3.

The Opteron series CPUs are inherently more stable because of quality control. They are designed to work in a server environment.

I had my Opty 144 as high as 1.6v when I was testing it. I saw no real advantage to keeping the voltage that high, so I dropped it back down to 1.35v.

Is OCZ4001024PFDC-K the part number on your OCZ memsticks?

regards

Yep,

Sinking the pwmic is a really great cooling mod for your board. Glad you saw some improvements in temp.

Keep us posted while you travel along this overclocking adventure.

Back to testing for a minute. You passed eight hours of memtest at the settings you note above, but the PC is hanging on a memory error? Memtest should have detected most memory errors when you ran it.

Wevspot...gold star for that one... my PWMIC temp dropped 9°C...incredible! :)

Makes one wonder why DFI didn't do it in the first place. I took three sinks off an old AGP GFX card...used the same thermal tape(stuff was probably three years old) that was on the sinks.

This ought to be a recommended operation on many mobos...and it is so easily done.

Does the chipset voltincrease help for both cpu and ram stability?

And most important.

Absolutely!

On the A64 cpu's the memory controller is onboard. So memory communications have to go through your cpu. Increasing voltage to the core also increases voltage to the memory controller (hence impacting memory stability when you are overclocking). Thats also why the A64 platform loves low memory latency.