I still dont get overclocking

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes getting the overclocking takes a while. I can remember the first time I ever overclocked a cpu, got my 200Mhz Pentium running at 233Mhz. I miss that system 400MB hard drive, 2 MB video card, 16 MB EDO ram. (I think it was edo) Windows 95 and Doom 2 was the hottest game on the market.

One thing that Im curious about however is in CPU-z, it says that my stats are:

Core speed 1610mhz

Multi 7x

Bus Speed: 230mhz

HT Link: 920mhz

Using memdiv @ 1/1

What I've done now is downclock my CPU but clock my RAM (560mhz according to CPU-Z)

How do I go above 2000mhz again and not break the 1000mhz HT-link limit?

It is because you changed your multiplier to x7, put it back at x10. cpu speed = multi x fsb. currently for you this is 7 x 230.

Hello again and thanks for your inputs.

I have my Opteron @ 2500mhz and ram @ 250mhz now, using multi 10x and htt 3x.

However, I haven't recieved more than perhaps 2-3 FPS in the game Im dying to get high performance in. Before clocking I was at 19fps, and at best now is 23.

I mean, how much higher am I going to have to clock to actually see an increase? =)

I will be taking the clock down tonight to start testing it according to the guide to find out the highest clock on both cpu and ram =)

What game are you trying to play? There is something else coming into play here other than your overclocking adventure. What type of monitor are you using and what is the in-game screen resolution set to? What type of eye candy is turned on, and are you running any AA or AF?

The game I want to max out with higher FPS is Crysis, which has not been released yet, only a SP Demo.

Im currently @ 2500mhz and I started the game @ High settings which is the next best setting, and after putting some stuff to medium, I got a remarkable 50fps, with 4x AA on, it looks amazing, but I can't help wanting to go to Very High settings, which requires Vista / dx10 unless you edit some strings of code in the gamefiles (pretty funny).

Settings will handle shading, shadows, object/texture quality.. uhm.. postprocessing effects (motion blur etc), so there are some quite heavy things in there.

Im using a 32" Samsung monitor @1360x768, which is locked at that resolution, since it is actually a TV originally, but with a DVI-input, also locked at 60hz since it's LCD.

Doesn't matter how high you clock the cpu you won't get significantly higher fps in that game.

It is GPU limited mostly and there are none out there currently that will get you high fps.

You can either lower your resoultion and or reduce details to enable higher fps.

Test using some other games that might have been more cpu limited to see the increased performance from your overclock.

wevsspot: I've been using that driver but with no effect at all. However, the game is still a beta in my opinion, the demo that is. That's probably why it says "PRERELEASE DEMO" at the top right during the entire demo.

They will probably optimize it when the whole game is out.

About Crysis relying almost completely on the GPU confuses me, since there are videos with people using Very High settings, full AA and still come off with about 40-50 FPS. I mean, there aren't any better cards today than the GTX, with the little exception of the Ultra, which doesnt perform that much better actually.

Even if I get my Opteron from 2ghz to let's say 3.2 (lol), it still wouldn't perform as well as new intel or amd @ 3.2 stock, isn't that right?

I can't help to think that if Im going to get as good results in Crysis, and other games as well, I need to buy new stuff. Waiting for Phenom which is due to release now in November. However, I can still crank this opty 170 a good bit probably.

Btw wevsspot: the settings you posted didn't work for me, so I increased the timings to 4-5-5-5 to try, then it actually passed the POST-screen and booted windows, but then crashed once I got to the login-screen =)

I upped the vcore abit more, but this time the screen refused to show, and the mobo started beeping again, so I had to take out the battery.

I think Im just gonna use the guide and try to actually get the highest frequency for the CPU first, THEN the ram, instead of just typing something in and hoping for the best :)

I am very very glad you guys have helped me even this far. Im starting to learn :)

They will probably optimize it when the whole game is out.

It is a next generation title designed primarily for next generation hardware, it may well be better optimised by the time of release but don't expect significant better performance at high settings on current hardware.

About Crysis relying almost completely on the GPU confuses me, since there are videos with people using Very High settings, full AA and still come off with about 40-50 FPS. I mean, there aren't any better cards today than the GTX, with the little exception of the Ultra, which doesnt perform that much better actually.

No one said it was completely GPU reliant. I saw it was limited. I think there might be a language barrier so I will try and explain again. No one irrespective of hardware is able to get high framerates with all settings on high, especially when applying AA. Anyone that claims to be doing so is clearly lying! This it seems has led you to believe that there is something wrong with your setup which I can assure you there isn't.

You could upgrade to a new cpu platform and may well experience gains that you couldn't get using your current setup. I will not lie and tell you that you wouldn't. I repeat on current hardware using the highest settings in this game no one is able to get high framerates irrespective of hardware config. Therefore upgrading purely for this game to currently available hardware, in the hope of significantly better framerate, in my opinion would be a waste of time and money.

If you only goal is to overclock to enable you to get high framerates in this game then you are going to be disappointed. If you want to gain performance overall which will effect other games and apps you use then, this is achievable and any help you need people here will be able to provide.

below is a link I found that may highlight the points I have made and help you understand.

http://www.techspot.com/article/73-crysis-performance/