Imminent Failure Of Hard Drive Related To ........

jsac

i have a question for those with answers..... i oc'd my cpu about 3 weeks ago. everythings been cool since (no pun intended). ive kept the processor under 50 deg. c. 99% of the time. today my cpu froze and when i rebooted i got a warning of an imminent failure of my hard drive to back up all my data immediately and replace the hard drive!!! SH%T!!! so my question is, is it possible that the oc'in had anything to do with this? my cpu isnt over 9 months old and is still covered under warranty. (small cpu shop, custom built system). has any1 else ever seen this error? the strange thing is windows seems to be running fine still, with no signs of problems but the bootup warning and defrag wont run due to "large amounts of disc errors" and scandisc freezes. i know, i know, i have this bad feeling in my gut......

:(

That warning is normal apparently. I ran into the same deal on my room mates computer a while ago...it hasn't crashed yet and it's been like a month hehe. I would replace the drive though, chances are pretty low that OC'ing is what caused it.

Hard drives have a nasty habit of spontaniously going bad. If you information is very important, I'd recommend buying a new hard drive and making sure you have adequate cooling for it. However, if you are a risktaker, this hard drive may still last you a long time. I had a WD hard drive that had that error for about a year before I decided to replace it.

Also, you may want to try using partition magic to completely wipe the hard drive. Maybe with everything back in order, the hard drive will start off clean and give you no future troubles.

How did you overclock your system?!!? Via FSB?!?!? If you did then chances are your FSB was too high and that might be teh cause of your probs.

I once scrambled and killed a hd via FSB overclock too high.

Rob

I recently had the same problem with my 40gig with the OS on it- Started to crash and had to use scandisk a lot to fix errors- reformated and reinstalled os 2-3 times- still problems. I had my oc way up to as high as 220x11 on my barton. I ended up RMA the harddrive back to Seagate and using my 80gig partitioned drive for my OS. No problems since I now do an overclock of 211x11@3200+ speeds. I do believe too high of a fsb will kill you HD.

Edited by smithy