The Unofficial Halo 3 Thread

Guest r3d c0m3t_merged

you should play shadow run, Vista PC vs. XBOX 360

i might pick it up and give it a whirl

Shadowrun is the lamest of the lame (I wrote a huge rant about it at the Official Xbox Forums (OXM Magazine section).

Don't waste a single dollar on it for the PC, and check out the demo on 360 before buying, but remember, it is ONLY multiplayer and it is already dying (ie the number of players is steadily and increasingly going down very quickly)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest r3d c0m3t
Shadowrun is the lamest of the lame (I wrote a huge rant about it at the Official Xbox Forums (OXM Magazine section).

Don't waste a single dollar on it for the PC, and check out the demo on 360 before buying, but remember, it is ONLY multiplayer and it is already dying (ie the number of players is steadily and increasingly going down very quickly)

Care to share the link? :tooth:

yep

it sucks

put me up against the TWO BEST IN THE ENTIRE WORLD fps players on console and let me play with mouse and keyboard and I'll win 100-1-1 every single match.

Console fps on controller = sucks worse than butthole cancer

Hate to be the chemo that kills your butthole cancer :P, but mouse+kb gaming on the 360 has been a reality for a while now.

The XCM XFS360 provides USB and PS2 mouse and keyboard support for the 360, with full key programmability.

While I admit you'll need a USB mouse with a high report rate (the G5 et al work great), I've been using this combination for several months and it works flawlessly. There is no delay, no hesitation, and no more need to lift and re-center the mouse during gameplay like earlier adapters (and the ones on the original xbox). To all intents and purposes, it plays just like a PC. And with the ability to map any key on the keyboard/mouse to any button on the controller, you've got total customization.

2 drawbacks in my mind (for this particular product) - first is that you will need a wired controller or play and charge kit to get the 360 to recognize the XFPS each time you start the 360. And second, you cannot map a key on the controller to BOTH a key on the keyboard AND the mouse. It only supports one button per key.

Other than that, it's a great product - and even supports lame key turbo! Actually not a bad feature when trying to prolong your life when downed in Gears... LOL

Check it out here: http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_xfps_360.htm

EDIT: by the by, if you happen to play 360 on a monitor that you also share with a PC, and are looking for a SLICK way to switch your kb/mouse between the console and the pc, pick up the IOGear GUB201. It allows you to switch two sets of USB devices between two systems. Quite useful if you also happen to have a keyboard with a built in hub, like my G15 - this way you can switch the kb, mouse and in my case my ipod dock, between yer xbox and PC seamlessly. Fully USB2.0 compliant, too.

Cheerio!

Cam

I hate to be the butthole of YOUR cancer, but it isn't anything like you say.

I've tried this. Guess what? It ONLY works if the developers have included support for real mouse/kb response.

Guess how many games have this?

Zero.

As I said, I've tried it. I was the first person I know of to jump on it because the consoles have a shitload of good FPS games.

A total of ZERO worked properly.

Oh, you could use the mouse/kb (trust me, I have a laser mouse that does something like 4000dpi or whatever, OCZ's top laser mouse).

problem is, the response time is STILL tied to a controller's dead zones because the games don't support mouse/kb on consoles properly.

Why?

Because MS doesn't want people to use the console like a pc.

So take it from me, this product is a pile of .. It cannot and does not compare anything to a real mouse/kb on a pc.

If it did, you'd have seen me ranting all over these forums about how everyone should run out and buy a console and this contraption.

But you don't see me running out extolling the virtues of this pile of dung because that's exactly what it is. A pile of dung.

I don't know how you claim to get it to work properly, but I'm not even going to argue with you about your claims. All I have to say is why is there no hype all across the internet? Because this product stinks and does NOT perform on a console like a mouse/kb would on a pc game.

Otherwise it would be "all the rage" and it isn't. It's a virtually unknown product, and there's a reason for that.

I hate to be the butthole of YOUR cancer, but it isn't anything like you say.

I've tried this. Guess what? It ONLY works if the developers have included support for real mouse/kb response.

Guess how many games have this?

Zero.

As I said, I've tried it. I was the first person I know of to jump on it because the consoles have a shitload of good FPS games.

A total of ZERO worked properly.

Oh, you could use the mouse/kb (trust me, I have a laser mouse that does something like 4000dpi or whatever, OCZ's top laser mouse).

problem is, the response time is STILL tied to a controller's dead zones because the games don't support mouse/kb on consoles properly.

Why?

Because MS doesn't want people to use the console like a pc.

So take it from me, this product is a pile of .. It cannot and does not compare anything to a real mouse/kb on a pc.

If it did, you'd have seen me ranting all over these forums about how everyone should run out and buy a console and this contraption.

But you don't see me running out extolling the virtues of this pile of dung because that's exactly what it is. A pile of dung.

I don't know how you claim to get it to work properly, but I'm not even going to argue with you about your claims. All I have to say is why is there no hype all across the internet? Because this product stinks and does NOT perform on a console like a mouse/kb would on a pc game.

Otherwise it would be "all the rage" and it isn't. It's a virtually unknown product, and there's a reason for that.

You? Rant? LOL

While I agree this doesn't work on all games, it works on all the FPS games I would even consider using it on:

COD3, COD4 Beta

Bioshock

Halo 3

Haven't tried any others since I honestly finished and sold them ages ago. Except Gears of War, which, admittedly, it does not work well on. Actually it downright sucks. But for the others listed above, it is pretty damn good - at least 90% of a PC experience, IMO.

Don't know if you figured it out, but you absolutely NEED to set controller sensitivity to the highest possible setting in the menu to get this to work. After I did that, it worked like a charm. Also possible you got a bad one? No idea if XCMs QC is up to snuff.

I've played Bioshock all the way through twice now, Halo 3 three times, COD3 at least once and COD4MP Beta every day. I also play HL2, Bioshock, CSS and several other FPS games on the PC regularly, so I have something to compare to.

NO, it is not quite as refined, but as far as being a great product, frankly I think it works wonders. But to each their own. MHO != YHO. And $85 is a lot to drop on an "experiment," agreed.