Doing a fresh install

TVFREAKAZOID

When you boot from the cd set your boot priority to the cd drive. It sounds like that is the problem. Or try hitting "esc" while it boots to bring up a list to boot from and pick the cd drive.

This is all that is required to delete your active windows partitions. Just boot to CD, then follow the prompts that guide you to do a fresh install. When you get to the disk management part use the "D" key and delete your old partitions.....have you ever done an OS install before? You may want to read up on it some more before proceeding if you are having this much trouble with the easiest part, which is booting from a CD/DVD.

After placing the CD/dvdrom ahead of the HD in the boot order remember that when it ask's you to "hit any key to boot off your cd" you only do that once the first time. After the first time you let the OS controll the boot. That first time is whan you controll the partition's and reformat after that you just let it controll itself when it ask's you to hit any button to boot of the CD.

It's supriseing how many people just sit there and hit that button and go around and around again. Also if you change the partition you really should reformat the long way. You dont have to but you really should. if you dont change the partition just do it the quick way. BA

After placing the CD/dvdrom ahead of the HD in the boot order remember that when it ask's you to "hit any key to boot off your cd" you only do that once the first time. After the first time you let the OS controll the boot. That first time is whan you controll the partition's and reformat after that you just let it controll itself when it ask's you to hit any button to boot of the CD.

It's supriseing how many people just sit there and hit that button and go around and around again. Also if you change the partition you really should reformat the long way. You dont have to but you really should. if you dont change the partition just do it the quick way. BA

I've done it before. All you have to do is put the cd and let it boot from it right. But i get the stupid error message the NTLDER is missing. But I will make sure to set it priority. I dont get why i'm having so much problems with a simple task. I agree with you guys. Thats why i hate computers. =)

I've done it before. All you have to do is put the cd and let it boot from it right. But i get the stupid error message the NTLDER is missing. But I will make sure to set it priority. I dont get why i'm having so much problems with a simple task. I agree with you guys. Thats why i hate computers. =)

you sure your cd is bootable? If you are 100% sure it is and you can't seem to boot to it, turn the rig off and unplug the power from the hdd (and the cable from the motherboard), and boot up again. If you can boot to the cd then you'll have the fun fun task of fooling around with IDE/SATA cables, boot orders, etc hehe.

If you can't boot to the cd without the hdd plugged in, then its either a bad cd/dvd rom drive, or bad cd that isn't bootable. Try plugging in a different cd/dvd drive and setting it to boot first, and if it still won't boot to the cd, you either got a bad cd or you got major issues on the motherboard with channels and booting lol.

Don't change the boot order, just use the "esc" key during initial post and it will allow you to boot to a specific device. You shouldn't even have to go into your BIOS configuration at all. Just follow the instructions and it should work fine.

If it does not work then you have serious issues and you might as well just bury the freakin thing for the trouble it is going to cause you if you are not experienced with troubleshooting a PC.

But if you really want to troubleshoot it yourself I'm sure AG would be more than happy to walk you through each step. :)

It's surprising how many people just sit there and hit that button and go around and around again.

I get at least one of those people a month in the shop. Usually let them watch the tech on the bench run the install so they can have that tremendous "gotcha" moment. I like to watch! LOL

The "old" windows is that done in fat32 perhaps?

If so it might shed some light on your problem, just a thought i had.

If not then you might have an worm or something that fraqqed up your drive and gave you this error.

Obviously you dont have to scan for that if you were able to just reformat.

But since you cant i would suggest a scan to sort it out, if thats the case.

You then might be able to reformat the drive normally.

Again just a thought.