Unstable eVga 6600GT - Damaged Capacitators?

About two months ago, I bought an evga 6600gt off of ebay for use in my backup pc. Before I was even able to open up the box, though, I accidently dropped a huge room fan right on it :mad:

When I opened up the box, I checked the board for any physical damage and found two capacitors that were located right where the box was smashed, and they were bent sideways and looked like they were sticking out of the board a bit. I proceeded to install the video card to see if it worked, only to discover that it works partially. It works ok as long as you are not doing any graphic intensive work, ie. surfing the web, but as soon as you start any sort of 3d game, the computer restarts itself. I am guessing that the two bent capacitators are causing this problem. I was just wondering if anyone could give some input as to what the problem could be, and if it can be repaired. Here are some pics I took of it:

42268858ey3.jpg

58828839gf9.jpg

66101691vy1.jpg

19768742rm9.jpg

86213885tg7.jpg

Thnx for any input.

That could be causing the problem, but at least it doesn't look like they leaked.

You could try pushing them back down onto the board and see if that fixes it?

And if your good with a soldering iron or know someone that is, you can replace them (Or see if a local electronics repair place would do it for a decent price).

While I wouldn't say for sure that's the problem, it does make sense that it would be.

About two months ago, I bought an evga 6600gt off of ebay for use in my backup pc. Before I was even able to open up the box, though, I accidently dropped a huge room fan right on it :mad:

When I opened up the box, I checked the board for any physical damage and found two capacitators that were located right where the box got smashed, and they were bent sideways and looked like they were sticking out of the board a bit. I proceeded to install the video card to see if it worked, only to discover that it works partially. It works ok as long as you are not doing any graphic intensive work, ie. surfing the web, but as soon as you start any sort of 3d game, the computer restarts itself. I am guessing that the two bent capacitators are causing this problem. I was just wondering if anyone could give some input as to what is the problem, and if it can be repaired. Here are some pics I took of it:

Thnx for any input.

I am surprised the card is clean at the desktop but the caps are causing your 3D issue.

As soon as the GPU loaded up there is so much ripple the core locks up and Windows

reboot on the error (cause ya still have it set to do that).

Viper

Ok thanks for the info. Btw, is there any way this could be repaired?

In all probability yes. There is always the chance the card won't come back after repair

but it is pretty unlikely in this case.

Viper

Capacitors aren't that expensive.You can take the board to service or you can go to an electronics shop like Radioshack and tell them to give you capacitors that are within the specs of the ones that are obviously not as they should be.Then you can change them.I think I have seen a tutorial that shows you how to solder capacitors.It is kinda easy you just got to have a steady hand and make sure you don't fall asleep with the soldering gun on the board.

P.S: Can you make a zoom on that 2R2labeled part?Is it just me or is it cracked?

L.E: You might want to look under the radiator and look at the chipset just to be sure it wasn't damaged.If only the capacitors are damaged you might be able to get it fixed without to much money.

Capacitors aren't that expensive.You can take the board to service or you can go to an electronics shop like Radioshack and tell them to give you capacitors that are within the specs of the ones that are obviously not as they should be.Then you can change them.I think I have seen a tutorial that shows you how to solder capacitors.It is kinda easy you just got to have a steady hand and make sure you don't fall asleep with the soldering gun on the board.

P.S: Can you make a zoom on that 2R2labeled part?Is it just me or is it cracked?

L.E: You might want to look under the radiator and look at the chipset just to be sure it wasn't damaged.If only the capacitors are damaged you might be able to get it fixed without to much money.

You will not be able to get those caps at RadioShack or virtually any retail electronics store.

They are low ERS caps made for high switching frequencies. They cost about 3 times what

as a normal cap.

Viper

Yeah I know but still they are not expensive and can be found.Now I'm not gonna argue with you about this since it has passed about a year since I last bought Low ESR capacitors for a motherboard so I don't know the flow of the parts right now.The ones I bought were called nichicon and it was black and a gold stripe if I remember correctly.Anyways he can take use of his broken hardware that have the matching capacitors and do a transplant.

Yeah I know but still they are not expensive and can be found.Now I'm not gonna argue with you about this since it has passed about a year since I last bought Low ESR capacitors for a motherboard so I don't know the flow of the parts right now.The ones I bought were called nichicon and it was black and a gold stripe if I remember correctly.Anyways he can take use of his broken hardware that have the matching capacitors and do a transplant.

Oh you can get them. The problem is getting them onesy-twosy.

Viper

Those caps might be fine, If i can see correctly, te bottom pic, bottom cap has a broken contact. how bad it is depends on what shape the channel is in that the lead goes through... if the conductive part is broken inside there it's a much harder repair, and probably not worth the money... BUT you may be lucky and have just broken the lead away from the contact... try re-soldering those caps, chances are, the caps themselves are fine, just not making good contact...

Those caps might be fine, If i can see correctly, te bottom pic, bottom cap has a broken contact. how bad it is depends on what shape the channel is in that the lead goes through... if the conductive part is broken inside there it's a much harder repair, and probably not worth the money... BUT you may be lucky and have just broken the lead away from the contact... try re-soldering those caps, chances are, the caps themselves are fine, just not making good contact...

The cap are gone. The poll posts have been pulled out.

Viper

The cap are gone. The poll posts have been pulled out.

Viper

ooooooo you're right, I didn't even notice... looked right at the contact and didn't see... *slaps himself* "bad llama"

nvm only two pics showed up the first time too, so I didn't see everything... just the obstructed pic and the last one...