need your opinion to choose an cpu

dwd

hi there

i have one opty 146 @ 2800 and few mhz and im thinking to upgrade the cpu i was thinking in a opty 170 with nice stepping for getting at least 2800mhz .. i just use this PC basicly for gaming.. but i read that the games dont get advantage of the dual.. so .. any options for this i dont want change the mobo either the ram or gfx card just money for a new cpu.. and want to see a nice diference

best regards

Dual cores will give you an advantage if you have other stuff running whilst gaming such as Firewalls, chat software, P2P etc. You won't get double the performance but you will probably see a difference.

Also the more recent games do take advantage of multi-cores such as Supreme Commander. Expect more games to do this.

The opteron's are good but don't discount the X2's. The 4400 and above also have 1MB of L2 cache (they're opterons practically in every way except the name). The X2's below this have less cache but the performance difference is negligible (less than 4% if I remember rightly).

Check some of the overclocking DB's for the good steppings on opty's and X2's and then see if the price difference is worth it.

Also look here

http://wiki.extremeoverclocking.com/wiki/Opteron_Steppings