Excessive Temperatures

According to SpeedFan and ITE Smart Guardian, my chipset is identified as running at 127 C. Is this a glitch or are VIA chipsets supposed to boil water. The chipset is running on the stock Aluminum passive cooling.

My CPU also runs extremely hot during game play (78C) and idles around 43C.I just applied AS5 and I don't know if this is part of that "break in period".

Wondering what, if anything, I need to do.

ps. My pc seems 100% stable at the moment

127*C is a glitch. Surely it would've shut down long before.

And if accurate, the CPU temps are high. Fo being at stock speeds(your sig) and volts either the HS/F isn't mounted properly, fan RPM is too slow(for whatever reason), applied too much AS5, etc etc. Even w/o a breaking in period on the AS5 43 idle is IMHO much too warm for a chip at stock.

What's ASUSs own monitoring program reporting?

ASUS's program agrees w/ ITE and SpeedFan however ASUS doesnt mointor chipset

I must have put too much AS5 on the chip (I tried spreading over the entire IHS). I have some left I might try reapplying more conservatively.

ASUS's program agrees w/ ITE and SpeedFan however ASUS doesnt mointor chipset

That tells me the chipset itself doesn't report. That's most probably why it reads 127 in Speedfan and ITE's SG.

It's my experiences, and I'm sure someone will chime in here with a differing view/experience, that spreading it out tends to lend itself to the user using too much. A grain of rice or BB sized dollup dropped onto the center of the IHS and then carefully lower the HS/F level and squarely, then secure.

Temps are improved (ocassionaly).

Some boots it idles 40 and other boots idle at 46

Dont know what this is about, but not concerned because I am still well within a reasonable temperature range regardless.

I replaced the stock chipset cooler, AL Passive, with my old copper chipset cooler, from my DFI, and moved the Aluminum stock ASUS cooler to the second chipset on the ASUS board (all using AS5). The CPU idles at 38C on this first boot. I will see if that is consistent after my next few boots.

You can try dropping the voltage on your cpu also. I find that cpu's tend to ask for more volts than they need alot of the time. Basically, go into bios, drop the vcore by one step, and then run Prime 95 when you go to sleep/work. If the Prime run hasn't errored by the time you get back, then lower it again, and repeat untill you get an error. Go back up to the last stable step, and you'll be set. I lowered my Core 2's volts by .150 volts and dropped a full 10C idle and load.