Problems with SATA II hard drives

Kaido

I think I might have problems with my SATA II hard drives. I have 2 of them and they seem to work little bit slowly than they should. I mean I looked at the benchmarks and it seems like my harddrives are working in SATA I mode or smt like that. Heres a picture of the Hdtach test: http://hot.ee/platinumcdrw/ketas2.jpg (burst speed seems to be to low)

One user from other forum said that this thing is not working @ the SATA II speeds. Instead its working in SATA I mode.

So is there anything wrong with my mobo? The Samsung HD160JJ (its newer sata ii model) manual sais that if you dont have any jumpers @ the back of the harddrive then it should work in SATA II mode. And I haven't connected any of these things there. And the Hitachi HDD that I have has been set to SATA II mode with the program that Hitachi download page gave me.

I even tried and integrated nVidia sata raid (these that come with a floppy) drivers to my Windows XP PRO install CD (the integration went OK and it works) but still no difference. And yes I have installed the nVidia nForce chipset drivers and theres no ! Or ? Marks in the device manager that should tell me if something is not installed.

Maybe my motherboard DFI nF4 SLI-D is wrongly set up or smt like that (in bios or some jumpers are in wrong place)? Can any one help me out... I even looked into the bios but dint find anything interesting. And yes... I'm still using a beta bios... it just worked well with my memory and OC and I havent pothered to update the bios to the latest official one. But if its the case of a "bad bios" then I can update the bios easly with usb flash drive.

Any help or ideas would be welcome...

looking at the test the drive is running as a single drive in sata-I speed...

burst speed is slow but that is ok...where you'll want to look is the average read speed...which is 51kb/s and even if the burst speed was faster that number will still be the same...

so it's not that far off on speeds... but it's not running in raid-0 if thats what you mean?

There are no jumpers @ the back of the hard drive so according to the samsung hdd manual this drive should work in sata ii mode. I dont have any other PC to test this on so I dont know if its my PC problem or the HDD.

to dr_bowtie:

I'm not trying to make raid. Its not even possible (i think) because one of the hard drives is Hitachi 250GB and the other is Samsung 160GB. I'm just puzzled what's wrong with that burst speed and why its so low.

One user from other forum showed me hes HD tach hard drive test score and he's drive worked well (he has some asus or smt like mobo that supports sata ii). He had single SATA II harddrive just like me... and he even dint change anything in bios or install any drivers. I even once had Western Digital brand new SATA II harddrive and that one to seemed to work in sata I mode...

And btw I have messed with my windows xp with nLite (dint remove anything that would be associated with hdd just some junk that no one needs). BUT I even tryed the full windows xp install from the original cd and still... the problem ramains...

so i'm really curious what's going on....

-edit-

so any more ideas what to try? I integrated the F6 floppy drivers with nLlite 1.3 using the pnp mode... maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or is this motherboard... broken? What could cause this "burst speed" to be lower than it should? I really need to find out but I dont have any idea what to try...

You may have to use the Hitachi Tool to enable SATAII

sadly i already did this for the hitachi drive after I got it... (dont know if I check it again will I lose all the info on the HDD? Otherwise I could check it again if its @ sata 2 speeds)

and I have looked again and again the samsung HD160JJ pdf manual for that "sata 2 thing" and it says: "if you want to enable the sata I then connect jumper". But I dont even have any jumpers so it should work @ sata 2 speeds but it doesn't (manual: http://hot.ee/platinumcdrw/HD160JJ.jpg)

(this picture is about the Samsung HDD: http://hot.ee/platinumcdrw/ketas2.jpg the hitachi drive performance is the same)

And like I said I had a Western Digital WD1600AAJS and it was the same... it seemed to work @ sata 1 :sad:

i just dont get it whats wrong... been thinking about this thing about a month now before posting @ dfi support.

I've got scads of these HD160JJ(/P) drives and all I see outta place is your burst.

I just now installed an HD160JJ/P on my 185 machine for you. Expert, NF4 controllers SATA#2 port, NTFS formated using Disk Mgt's defaults, Zero files stored on it.

Windows built-in tests from Dev Mgrs NF4 Controller page is almost indentical numbers. Check marks next to all except "Enable command queing" , detected as a SATA-2 drive

hd160jjvslacies2sdf4.th.jpg

The LaCie Biggest S2S you see in there is using 5 HD160JJ/P's. It's a monster. :angel:

so thats how this HDD should perform... I know that only thing thats to slow is the burst speed (maybe thats why I dont feel any big performance hit)..

but what could be causing this.... the Samsung and Hitachi drive have a lot of files on it right now but even when I re formated it and it was empty I still got this : 130 burst speed.

Maybe theres something wrong in the bios (im not that good tweaking the bios)?

nice to c some one showing what this drive could to... tnx - wardog - :)

(all info about my PC is up to date in my signature)

Maybe theres something wrong in the bios (im not that good tweaking the bios)?

Na.... I doubt it.

I left it at Auto in the BIOS's HD config page. Also, I'm using XP Pro x86(all system updates) with nVidia's v6.86 UDP. Neither of the dual-core hotfixs applied here.

HERE's a decent review of the HD160JJ if you want to judge against other benchmarks they performed on it.

If you'd like to compare anything, feel free and ask away.

The jumper on my WD 200Gb drive was really small and I could not see it when the drive was in the case.

The Nvidia driver in the "Device Manager" has additional property pages that allow you to force SATA2.

That said I never got much more than 190 throughput from the supposed 300 of SATA2.