Save Internet Radio before it is too late!

signmeuptoo

Guys, if you don't want internet radio to be completely wiped off of the map quite likely, you might want to take a couple minutes out of your life to fill out the petition here:

http://www.savenetradio.org/act_now/link_kit.html

Congress is about to vote on legislation that would permit the music industry hammering down SUPER HARD on internet radio stations by charging them outragious fees, which would cause such stations, probably ALL of them, to go under, so PLEASE TAKE THE TIME if you care like I do.

Maybe we in Europe have to provide you with something similar but reverse to "Radio Free Europe".

A crazy thought just crossed my mind, mainly because this affects the US: does the US army pay royalties for the "offending" or "disturbing" music they did play screamingly loud in an attempt to confuse the enemy in for example Iraq?

It would be a pity if the now diverse selection of stations would be crippled to just a few mainstreams.

heh, i don't listen to radio of any kind on the internet except excerpts from NPR that I miss during the day.

I just installed a TV-FM tuner card in my rig and listen to local radio during the day. I tried internet radio a few times but it really mostly sucks, though you do get a better selection of your musical tastes....but then so could you get the same selections really with XM or Sirius satellite radio.

As much as I hate record companies, I do have to agree that when you listen to some internet radio stations, the artist nor the record company label is making the profits that they normally get from a regular radio station. It's pretty much like downloading music without paying for it, though different in the sense that you aren't storing and then sharing it with others...but the emphasis is the same, the artists/labels are not getting the share of the money that radio stations normally generate for them (through advertising).

Radio stations are also being hurt by the fact that they have to generate money with advertising. Radio stations make zero money off the internet radio stations...

It would be a pity if the now diverse selection of stations would be crippled to just a few mainstreams.

this is true, but already in america the majority of media outlets are owned by a few conglomerate groups (Clear Channel Satan Worshippers is a good example lol). This is why I choose to listen to either NPR, or XM satellite radio (via our DirecTV box). Much more choice of the genre I want to listen to.

Here's the rub with the current legislation as presented.

Internet Radio would be treated differently than terrestrial or satellite radio.

Both terrestrial and satellite radio pays a bulk licensing fee for the broadcast privilege. Once a year they keep a log of every song played and report it so the artist will be properly compensated.

Internet Radio would be constrained to paying by song for the rights. As I see it this is not equitable in the least.

The producers of Internet Radio have been trying to come to an agreement with the music license holders but they have met nothing but contempt.

Even as a Club DJ I was able to purchase a license from both ASCAP and BMI that gave me the privilege to play any music at any time in any place. Why treat the Internet broadcasters any differently?

I'm placing my support behind the guys in Internet Radio since I listen to their feeds quite often and enjoy the product.

Pandora is still my favorite place to find new and interesting music.

Hey Angry Games: Pandora doesn't suck, you should check it out. You name an artist or a song, and it uses the world music database to deliver music in the same vein as well as what you have chosen, it is cool.

or i can listen to NPR and my local radio stations as well as satellite radio (XM) and get all the music I want, as well as new/different stuff that I might have never heard before.

Part of the life experience is experiencing something new, both the good and the awful.

Part of the life experience is NOT listening to tinny, constantly-buffering internet radio.

However, that is just my own opinion. For those that like internet radio, the reality is that you must always realize the government here, backed by moronic recording industry and movie industry shitbags (and their ******* shitbag lawyers) will always try to restrict/inhibit/**** up your freedoms on the internet.

However on the other side, most of you think the internet is your freedomland and you don't have to follow rules and laws while roaming the internet (highlighted by your huge amounts of pirated music, movies, television, showing all sorts of garbage and nonsense on youtube etc).

With an attitude of "its on the internet, so it's free or the rules don't apply to me", you can understand why the Nazi Recording Industry and the Gestapo Movie Industry and the Let's Put Some screwed Up Root-Kit In Our Software Protection Scheme industries are all extremely....nazi about passing laws to restrict you.

I certainly understand it. I don't always agree with it, but this attitude that 95% of you on the internet have that somehow everything should be free or you should be able to make up your own rules governing someone else's property...it wears thin on anyone with a slight hint of morals (and while I'm not even close to being a wholesome and moral person, I have just enough values and morals to where it makes me sick seeing it daily).

Maybe we in Europe have to provide you with something similar but reverse to "Radio Free Europe".

A crazy thought just crossed my mind, mainly because this affects the US: does the US army pay royalties for the "offending" or "disturbing" music they did play screamingly loud in an attempt to confuse the enemy in for example Iraq?

LOL KimTjik: This is very funny. Hope you meant it to be:) If not, please ignore comment.

Edit: I don't use it much either, but this whole "charging for music" thing has been out of control for a long time and getting worse. Apple just did some anti-DRM move lately that puts a small chink in the armor ... battle is not over.

Part of the life experience is NOT listening to tinny, constantly-buffering internet radio.

Well, you must not have sampled Pandora if that's your perception of "Internet Radio". Even during periods of low bandwidth or during multiple downloads I've never had an interruption in the music.

Pandora is one of the few outlets that has an actual purpose beside providing music you already know.

Q: What is Pandora?

Pandora is a music discovery service designed to help you enjoy music you already know, and to help you discover new music you'll love.

It's powered by the most comprehensive analysis of music ever undertaken, the Music Genome Project: a crazy project started back in early 2000 to capture the complex musical DNA of songs using a large team of highly-trained musicians.

Just tell us one of your favorite songs or artists and we'll launch a streaming station to explore that part of the musical universe.

From this link...

http://www.pandora.com/corporate/

You can create as many "stations" as you want. And you can even refine them. If it's not quite right you can tell it more and it will get better for you.

Without Pandora I would have never found "Mothers Finest" or "Moog Cookbook". Just create a Radio Station based upon your favorite artist and listen to the selections provided.

I would have to agree with A_G_ on this point.....The general public is made up of 95% casual internet mongers who have decided that whatever they want they can have for free....The reasoning they use is "Everyone else is so it must be OK"... or "If they are gonna prosecute me than they are going to have alot of full jails..." People need to stop and think about their motives...I also cannot stand conglomerate thinking but there is a legal way to combat it ......Get involved in your community government, listen to a few paid advertisements, buy a cd and support your favorite band....:cool: