IHS removal

When I remove the IHS and I put the HSF back on, should I put something between the capacitators on top of the CPU and the HSF? Like taking the foam pad and cutting a rectangle in the shape of the core in the middle of it, then putting that on the CPU, then putting on the HSF?

I don't know what kind of HSF you have, but it shouldn't be necessary at all. Never heard of anyone cracking their core. But you are aware that you should use a cooler that uses bolts and springs, right? Otherwise the loss of height of the CPU due to the IHS removal could cause bad contact between the heatsink and core.

• 2 months later...

I'm trying this right now with an old Celeron 1.86. I was wondering what the IHS is so I youtubed IHS Removal and I got some videos on how to do it and I knew what it was. I just don't know what the shams are that this video mentions at the end:

I'm having the same issue with schoolslave right now. My naked core isn't making any contact with the HSF. I've tried using strips of a rubber band but it's not working. Can't I use a highly cleaned penny with ceramique on the top and bottom of it and place it between my HSF and naked core or will that fry the processor?

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know what kind of HSF you have, but it shouldn't be necessary at all. Never heard of anyone cracking their core. But you are aware that you should use a cooler that uses bolts and springs, right? Otherwise the loss of height of the CPU due to the IHS removal could cause bad contact between the heatsink and core.
you have been a member since 05? and you never heard of people cracking cores ? hmmm I know of three people here cracking mobiles (same thing) trying to mod xp90s. Its just nuts to try and use a non bolt on

When I remove the IHS and I put the HSF back on, should I put something between the capacitators on top of the CPU and the HSF? Like taking the foam pad and cutting a rectangle in the shape of the core in the middle of it, then putting that on the CPU, then putting on the HSF?

be a good idea if you was to try to use as5. might keep the as5 from spreading to places not meant to be. But then useing AS5 is nuts too

consider yourself real lucky as there tread after tread of crying. people putting it on video cards, chip set and CPU. And it most not recommended. on a lidless or mobile CPU. exspeshaly when your trying to stear someone in the right direction. Ive used it on my lidless cpus but you better be very careful what its gets on(ceramique though because I heard that supposedly its safer) theres no supposedly about it IT IS

i use as5 and i dont see how it can spread all over like you guys are talking about unless you use alot of it. mine spreads nice and even across core with almost none hangin out over it. i will continue to use it and nothing anyone can say will change my mind

I've used it on lidless chips, video cards, etc. as well and I've never had a problem. If I use it on a naked chip, I spread it out by hand. If it's on an IHS, I put some in the middle and let the heatsink spread it out.