Adding a drive

I just got my computer off of a buddy. It already has 3 sata hdd in raid with windows installed. I have another sata with my documents and what not on it and i want to install it as well. Bios wont detect it. Help

In the BIOS make sure that all SATA controllers are enabled.

As far as the RAID array goes, you can mix and match those on about any of the nVidia SATA controllers that you want. Remember, on the SLI-DR only four of the SATA ports are nVidia, and the others run off of the Silicon Image SATA 150 controller.

If I were you I'd reorder my SATA RAID cables and make sure they are connected to SATA channels 1>2>3

Then you can put your backup drive on channels 4>5>6>7>8 whichever you prefer.

But again, don't forget to get into the m/b BIOS and enable the appropriate SATA controllers.

Cheers mate.

The two 80 gb are supposed to be in raid array. they are in sata1 and sata2. the 300gb is in sata5. The 300 is the only one showing up in windows. the back up that I am install wont show up either. on the task bar, the 'safely remove hardware' icon is showing and all of the drives i can find are list. I have no idea what is going on. Please Help.

Ok, I'm totally confused. First post says you have 3 drives in RAID array. Now it's only 2 drives?

Please list exactly what your hard drive arrangement is.

i.e. what drives, what controllers, raid > non-raid etc.

Then we'll be able to help.

The first step is to make sure that the BIOS detects all of the available drives.

If I get your drift you can enter the F10 RAID setup BIOS and it should show two drives in the RAID array and healthy.

Then your BIOS should also detect the 300gb backup drive. Also, if you've plugged in another SATA drive it should show it also. Once the m/b is detecting all of your drives then we can move onto the Windows portion of getting the drives initialized and assigned a drive letter.

NP.

Glad you figured it out. It would be a big help if you told us exactly what the hangup was, so others with similar problems might learn from your experience.

Thanks.

sounds like he had his spare drive hooked up to the sil controller w/o drivers, which was why windows wasnt seeing it... i'm guessing he moved it tot he nvidia sata ports as he should have