Removing Thermal Pad from Chipset

Guest JustinSane_merged

Guest JustinSane

I removed the HSF from my chipset to find the thermal pad glued to the damn chipset. How the hell do I get it off? Ive been rubbing it with alcohol for 30 mins. Barely scraping it off with business cards. Is there an easier way?

Guest JustinSane

Thank you. I got almost all of it off. There is a little bit on the side of the chip and a dot in 2 corners. Do you think its ok to put some paste on and seal it up?

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2079/chipsetpastesm8.jpg

Top and bottom left corners.

EDIT: Well I guess I should have opened the heatsink first. It's broken :(

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1048/newbrokenfancn1.jpg

What a way to end a fantastic day! Does anyone know how good SVC is with returns?

Thank you. I got almost all of it off. There is a little bit on the side of the chip and a dot in 2 corners. Do you think its ok to put some paste on and seal it up?

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2079/chipsetpastesm8.jpg

Top and bottom right corners.

EDIT: Well I guess I should have opened the heatsink first. It's broken :(

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1048/newbrokenfancn1.jpg

What a way to end a fantastic day! Does anyone know how good SVC is with returns?

At least you still have another rig to get online with. :D

I'd be worried about the crud in the corners because if they stick proud they can hinder contact between the chip and the base of the sink. Also, if you haven't already, you might want to look into the HR-05 or the HR-05-SLI. The Evercool isn't bad but if everything else in your system is quiet you can really hear it.

Guest JustinSane

Would the Thermalright HR-05-SLI be just as good or better? I found a place that will ship them on Saturdays. Frozencpu.com

Can you tell im goin crazy?

Would the Thermalright HR-05-SLI be just as good or better? I found a place that will ship them on Saturdays. Frozencpu.com

Can you tell im goin crazy?

The SLI version isn't recommended for Expert boards because it doesn't fit right. Depending on your video card however the HR-05 non SLI version should fit right underneath it.

From what I've seen it cools better, and the Evercool, if your system is whisper quiet, sticks out like a sore thumb. Yes, it's very quiet, but in my system it's the source of half the noise created and that's at low speed. I'm still pretty happy with it, because granted my system is not in a case which would probably mask pretty much all the sound it's creating.

Guest JustinSane
The SLI version isn't recommended for Expert boards because it doesn't fit right. Depending on your video card however the HR-05 non SLI version should fit right underneath it.

From what I've seen it cools better, and the Evercool, if your system is whisper quiet, sticks out like a sore thumb. Yes, it's very quiet, but in my system it's the source of half the noise created and that's at low speed. I'm still pretty happy with it, because granted my system is not in a case which would probably mask pretty much all the sound it's creating.

Hmm. My video card hangs right over the chipset so I don't think the non SLI version will fit. Damn it.

Hmm. My video card hangs right over the chipset so I don't think the non SLI version will fit. Damn it.

There's a whole thread on the HR-05 and its SLI variant somewhere around here. If you're not running SLI, then the SLI version will work(counterintuitive I know) if you have it hanging downward. It lines up with the lower PCIe slot, which is why it doesn't work with SLI. If I was more familiar with both units and I saw your setup I could probably say with relative certainty which would work if either.