Swiftech H20-220 APEX ULTRA versus CoolIt Freezone

puzzled

I'm currently using a laptop. My signature is fairly correct with the possible exception of the CPU cooler. I intend to have 2 working X1950's in Crossfire when they are finally replaced.

Well my initial point was that the full-cover waterblocks would work well on the X1950; especially if you have 2 in Xfire.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the look of the swift mcw6500-t, would go nice with my w/c loop.

did some1 say it would only nock off 5c from normal w/c. its ment to be able to cool far better than that. it all about staying under the tec blocks max watts. so with a c2d for example that has a stock voltage of 1.3. say ure max o/c on the chip is 3.6Ghz with 1.55volt on air or h2o cooling. with the mcw6500-t & at 3.6Ghz u'd probibily only use say 1.325v, instad of 1.55v.

if u just add loads of voltage when using the mcw6500, like normal o/cing on air/h2o. u will end up with a worse temps than on air or h2o.

once ive got a few more upgrades mobo,psu & a dx10 gpu, i'll get a mcw6500. so unless i win sum money it wont be for a good 2-3months.

hopfully some1 else might hav done a review of the mcw6500 by then, as im yet to see it propperly put through its paces.

you should get zero or close to it with a direct die application, but i have mine attached to a ally res with a fan to cool the hot side it was just a little test as i had a 80w pelt lying around.(i was gonna put it on my north bridge but ti wouldn't fit) To get a propper tec effect you need at least a 220+w then you'll defenatly need a seperate psu and a h20 loop to cool it in that case your better of to run two loops in your case one for the tec and one for your gpu

i didnt mention before 3stars but my 120mm & 240mm rads will only be running the mcw6500-t & north block, onesingle loop. so i'll leave the gpu on air.

it will work out cheeper if i buy one of those seperate psu's & keep my current psu. otherwise i'd only buy a enermax 1000watt, thats like £210 UK:eek: . the extra tec only psu would be less than £100.

have a look at the spec of the tec, in paticular the max volts some if not all can go to 13.8v this will give you max performance allthough you will need a seperate psu(also the swiftech pump has a max of 13.8v) and putting these on the same psu is a good safety, sorry i cant give you any links as i'm on another machine so this is all going by memory(old and addled at best)

i will have a hunt around for the specs but there are some good tutorials at extreame overclocking and overclockers.com.

good luck and remember to do your reaserch and prepere thoughly and triple check everything before you hit to go button for the first time.

some links with you pump's specs showing max voltage is 14v

http://www.petrastechshop.com/dadenlad5in1.html

tec's max is 15v

http://www.petrastechshop.com/2250tec1.html

so getting the 13.8v 400w meanwell should easly power both you pump and pelt. The reson that this is a good idea is that the pump comes on when the pelt does so not to burn out anything

also looks like a good place to shop

thanks for the advice 3stars. thats a good idea putting the pump & tec on the extra psu.

ive been struggling to find the mcw6500 & the psu online over here in pom-land:). im hopeing that this changes before i want my kit, otherwise i'll hav to pay the extra for posting from the US. then its the possibilty of VAT on top.

i had that happen before when i got sum RAM a few years back from the US. i thought i got a fairly good deal on the chips, then got an extra £16 bill .

there's a few good shops in the uk (i lived there for 16 years) but got into puting full on when i got back here keep an eye on sleze bay there are a few thing on there that go pretty cheap if you have the time to wait for them to come up and can be arsed to bid for them

• 2 weeks later...

I received the Freezone yesterday, but will have to wait until Monday to install it. UPS left the new CPU at the warehouse. This is the 2nd time in a 2 week period they have left a 2nd box at the warehouse on a Friday.

• 5 weeks later...

I got the system up & running a few days ago. Unfortuately I had to remove the CM Stacker side 80mm intake fan & bracket because it was hitting the Freezone aluminum plate. It works as advertised.

• 1 month later...

The pump started to leak between where the 2 halves join after a few days of use. I thought there wasn't enough coolant in the lines when I started out, but it seemed to work fine. Core temps weren't as good as some others had stated, but they were better than the Vigor Monsoon II. It took a few days, but I noticed Core Temp was giving me readings about 10 degrees higher than normal. I left the side panel off so I could monitor for coolant leakage. There had been none after 2 days of prolonged usage. I looked inside the case & saw a pool of coolant. I powered down & unplugged the system. I need to contact them for a RMA.