OMG Thats freaking hot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest IAmATeaf

What size fan are you guys putting on the NB, I've got a DS3P and the NB gets roasting hot on it and I thought of nicking a fan off an old Athlon slot CPU I have, think the fans are 40mm on that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I found with the clip on n/b chipset coolers . . .

If you are using something like the Thermalright HR-05 or the SLi version, that particular retention mechanism doesn't cooperate so well with a vertical type heatpipe AND a fan strapped to it. I tried three different fans with mine, both pushing and pulling air, and my best results were obtained by leaving it fanless. I think a fan hanging on the end of the HR-05 with only the hook latches holding it onto the chipset isn't such a good retention for ensuring solid contact between the heatsink and the chip itself.

For those using the original heatsink, any size fan that will fit and stay put should work just fine. The key is air movement across and around the cooling fins. The more, the better.

Although the DS3 rev3.3 board has a slightly improved nb heatsink, you could fry a egg on this thing on stock volts. This was my solution:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118014

I have a Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU cooler so I had to bend a few fins on the Zalman to make it fit, but it works incredibly well so long as you have a minimal case airflow. You can feel the amount of heat at the base and it radiating off the fins. Noiseless too. Disregard the negative reviews on newegg about it being hard to install. Takes 5 minutes tops with AS5 and cleaning compounds. $15 shipped. A no brainer in my opinion.

Of course you're voiding warranty, but this is DIY street right? Voiding warranties is half the fun!!! :)

I will upload a pic of it installed shortly; currently Orthos testing it to get my rig in the OCCDb.

NOTE to Sig Nazi's: I will update my sig shortly once I've confirmed its stability.

PM me with questions; I'm happy to help!

Quote:

"Originally Posted by nutxo

I did this

It seems to work incredibly well.. Oh yeah. Yjose are mobo standoffs glued to the fan. Thye push right into the NB cooler and my warranty is intact."

What size fan is that 40mm? I think its a good idea I cant be bothered to try and remove the heatsink. What temperature are you getting ? I was a bit alarmed as SpeedFan is reporting the NB temp at 56 Deg C after a gaming session and I've got 200mm fans on my Xclio case !

• 2 months later...

I noticed the same thing with my GIGABYTE DS4 with the north bridge heatsink being hot. I installed a Zalman FB123 with a 92MM fan and it blows on my northbridge and memory. It made a big difference. I was just thinking about this further and this might not fit with some aftermarket fan coolers because of the size. I am watercooling my set up.