how are your socket A rigs?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Blooz1

It's funny, I was just thinking about this subject last night!

I've had my last running Socket "A" (Biostar mATX/1700 T-Bred "B"/1 Gb ram/ Sapphire 9600Pro) laying around in "retirement" for about 6 months. It's last usage was as the basis for my semi-abortive Linux explorations. For most of it's existence it's been a music server/HTPC, and has been ultra-reliable rig.

I recently began to re-teach myself guitar (I played heavily for about 12 years back in the 60's-70's, then stopped), and I'm going to have a a need for a music server once more. I'm teaching myself how to undo old "bad habits" of playing, and want to get back to the neverending task, conversion of vinyl albums to a digital format. I truly hate this task, but I still have a load of blues albums that need to be converted!

Since this rig is already running, I was thinking I should swap in my trusty unlocked Barton 2500, 9800Pro, and some bigger HD's, then put it back to work! This rig has already been O/C'ed to 2.3Ghz for about 3 years without an issue, but the Barton will run at 2.4 24/7/365 at about 6-8 degrees cooler than the 1700B, so it's worth swapping.

this is still my main rig....i havent found anything that it couldnt do yet....i believe in these nforce2 boards so much i built one for the wife......shuttle mn31n..xp3200cpu.....1gb total geil dual channel ddr2....xfx7300gs.....this old platform rocks....once again wanna thank everyone that has helped me on this forum:)

I was feeling the need for some sistah love so I began searching the forums and ebay for a deal on one, some of the old nf2 MB prices are thru the roof, who would have thunk it.

When I saw a DFI UI & xp-m2400 being offered on a forum for $40.00 shipped I nearly crapped my pants, I imagined someone would sneak in and steal the deal as has happened in the past or that the mb would have some probs but I ended up getting it anyway.

Hooked everything up last nite on the bench w/a used Fortron/FSP 500w (heavy psu) I found for $30 shipped and an old AGP card, hit the power switch and she posted, 1st hurdle past.

I've been working a lot of hrs lately and have more than one project going so I don't know when I'll be able to get everything in a case but will give an update when I do.

P.S.

The xp-m2400 ended up being a xp-m2600 IQYHA 0348, he had forgotten what was in the board, sweet!

Guest Blooz1

Man, you stole that setup, playah!

Keep us posted on that rig as it goes along - you know everybody here loves them "ho's"!

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is still up and running. In fact it's my main home PC! Not a problem in over 2 years now. Can't justify the jump to Vista yet, XP runs great! Got 2 more LPB NF2 setups running around the house as well. No complaints.

OOps, my sig is gone... gottta fix that right away...

I just cleaned my file server up a bit, changed the CPU cooler from stock to a Thermalright SI-97 (thanks doc). Temps dropped 15C with a Sunon 92mm fan, very nice. I also took both north and south bridge coolers off, cleaned them and applied some FrozenCPU Copper Thermal Compound. Now i can just barely hear it sitting next to my desk.

:)

• 7 months later...