Looking for good, cheap, 939 Motherboard-Asus A8V-VM or DFI Open Box??

BuddTX

In my efforts to overclock to the max, and still be 100% stable, I ended up with an extra 939 chip (3000+) and 1 gig of kingston ram (512x2)

I want to put together an inexpensive, yet stable system, and (OF COURSE!!!) even do some overclocking! But of course, it needs to be stable, otherwize what good is it!

BUT, I dont want to spend a lot of money, because if I do, then why buy a 939 system, when for similar amounts, one could get a C2D.

I was looking at these two boards, but no nothing about the Asus, and wonder about the open box DFI:

ASUS A8V-VM SE Socket 939 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $ 49.99

or the

Open Box: DFI nF4 Ultra-Infinity Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM - $ 52.99

Any suggestions or comments on these boards, or any other boards? (Also, any suggestions on Cases etc are always welcome!)

Thanks,

Well, somone else bought the open box DFI Infinity board, but that may be a good thing, as I found another

OPEN BOX DFI-LAN Party UT nF4 Ultra-D NVIDIA nForce4 Chipset

for 59.99!!

But I bought this one, BEFORE I posted it here this time!

Hope it works out, as I really like the one I currently have!

Now I just have to resist the urge to buy a Opteron 165! The whole idea was to "use up" my 3000+ !

good luck with that, i caved!

The only thing that prevents me from caving in, is that I want to get a C2D system, or I am waiting for whatever AMD is going to do to "one up" Intel!

Since the C2D Intel chip overclock like a , I am betting that whatever AMD puts out will really be kind to the overclocking community!

(or so I hope anyway!)

• 2 weeks later...

Well the "Open Box" newegg was a dissapointment.

there were at least three things missing, on what I consider to be the bare motherboard:

- The Heatsink "hook" that goes around the CPU

- The screws that hold on the "hook"

- That tiny "sound card" that goes on the back of the motherboard

I am looking to probably get another DFI-LAN Party UT nF4 Ultra-D if I can find one.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a better board than the DFI-LAN Party UT nF4 Ultra-D?

Not doing SLI so that is not an issue.

Thanks!

look around the for sale forum.... i bet you can pick up a heatsink and karajan audio module delee for cheap... if not i have an old SB audigy live i can sell you!

Thanks, but I RMA'd the board back to Newegg.

Funny thing, the next day I am at Fry's, buying some Artic Silver Thermal Epoxy, and hanging on the wall, right next to the AS stuff, is the exact plastic 939 "heat sink mounting collar" that should have been on the motherboard!

Oh well, Unless someone recommends a very good cheap 939, I probably will spend the little extra, and get the DFI-LAN Party UT nF4 Ultra-D.

Well, I made my decision, even though I am trying to build this "leftover parts" PC as cheaply as possible, I decided to spend the extra and get another DFI-LAN Party UT nF4 Ultra-D. I did not need SLI or RAID, and I am already familiar with the layout and the BIOS of this board, so I figured I would just get another one (before they are all gone!)

Also, I am resisting the urge (I might cave in!) to buy an Opteron 165, so I figured that I could squeeze more speed out of my 3000+ with this board than with a cheaper, unknown board.

I keep on flip/flopping on this issue:

On one hand,

the AMD 939 technology is "dead" or finished,

but on the other hand,

an Opteron 165 Overclocked for 160 bucks or so is one HECK of a deal!

And while it is not "state of the art", it is still really a heck of a performer, esp for 160 bucks!