E6400 Peaking at 2.8Ghz - Why?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baja Bum

Try to set TRFC to 35 with MemSet and overclock with clockgen in windows.

I'm sure that you will pass 400FSB with ease....use loose timings. Use 400 or 533 divider to be sure that your Ram isn't keeping you down.

It work for me and some ppl I know...

ClockGen

http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

Use this PLL for your mobo:

ICS 9PLRS509 (DFI 975X/G Infinity)

If it stop responding dont worry. It takes about 30s to apply your fsb settings.

Hey all,

Thanks for all your continued tips.

I ran ClockGen and Memtest, adjusted the settings, and went to 400x8 (3.20Ghz)!!!:) Here are the pics of the settings - including Everest and SensorView.

While this worked great in Windows, it's still at the 2.6Ghz settings in BIOS see pics. Restarting goes to 2.6Ghz.

Do I set the settings from ClockGen/Memtest in the BIOS? Or, leave the BIOS and continue to O.C. in Windows?

Thanks again,

Baja Bum

Dfi boards never liked cheap memory..so if you want to overclock from the bios buy quality Ram.

When you use tuning tools like clockgen, MemSet, SetFsb and others you can change settings only in Windows. After a restart the mobo loads bios setting again. There is no windows program that can change and save bios settings. But you can make some tools like MemSet to change automaticaly the settings you want when Windows load.

Dfi boards never liked cheap memory..so if you want to overclock from the bios buy quality Ram.

When you use tuning tools like clockgen, MemSet, SetFsb and others you can change settings only in Windows. After a restart the mobo loads bios setting again. There is no windows program that can change and save bios settings. But you can make some tools like MemSet to change automaticaly the settings you want when Windows load.

Mine does!

I don’t think RAM is a problem anymore with the 975 board unlike the NF4 boards because higher latencies & a 2T command rate don’t really affect the 975 board.

Baja

I think you can rule out your CPU then.

Will it run Orthos @ 3.2 with the clockgen?

I still doubt your RAM is holding you back because it’s at stock speed & you still have the 400 strap/divider to fall back on.

For my money its got to be board setup or voltages still.

Have you got the 8pin & floppy extra power connected?

Have you tried booting with a low end graphics card?

It's not the Ram that holding him down but only the Trfc timing that is too low for his Ram. I hope that Dfi will correct this in future bios.

I don't think that there is an E6400 in the world that can't run stable at 3000 or 3200 Ghz with raised voltage.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking over my data in Everest (Ultimate 2006 Trial v.), and under Computer/DMI/Processors/Intel I show data as follows:

[ Processors / Intel® ]

Processor Properties:

Manufacturer Intel

Version Intel®

External Clock 266 MHz

Maximum Clock 3066 MHz

Current Clock 2128 MHz

Type Central Processor

Voltage 1.2 V

Status Enabled

Upgrade ZIF

Socket Designation Socket 775

I understand my current clock is 2128Mhz as I just reset the BIOS to stock (Optimal) settings. I got new RAM today (G.SKILL F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ 2x1GB :) ), and before installing I thought I'd reset everything first and check all settings.

My question is the Maximum Clock 3066 MHz reading. Could this be why I can't O.C. above 2900Mhz??? What is that reading and why???:confused: Is it just a default reading put out by Intel or DFI as a warning or safety guard to cover themselves?

It may be a rookie question, but like most in spring training... that's what I am.

Thanks,

Baja Bum

I use ultimate edition 2006 & under Computer/DMI/Processors/Intel I don't have the "Maximum Clock" line at all.

That G.Skill ram is a real nice choice I have some Buffalo Firestix that use the Micron D9 chips & I can hold 1000mhz 4.4.4.5 no problem so I am sure you are going to love them.

Yea, the G.Skill is nice. Booted up quickly and runs smooth. For now I'm at 2.64 with +50v VID, 1.2v VTT, 1.6v NB and 2.1v DRAM. Leaving there as I work on a project and have no time to experiment today.

Do I have to disable something to get rid of the Maximum Clock 3066 MHz reading? I have all the BIOS settins adjusted... C1E disabled etc.

I'll be testing more later.

Also, I've had a loud buzz coming through my speakers (Monsoon 5.1 surround), is there any way to get rid of the noise, or is that the drawback of using the Realtek ALC882 onboard sound chip? I have the latest driver (1.57). Music and other sound is great, just backround buzz as volume goes up.

Thanks.

Yesterday I installed the G.Skill's and now have no problem overclocking to 400x8=3.2Ghz!!!!:) It so nice the way this RAM sparks right up! I guess the Kingston I had (1GB 667Mhz) was the weak spot of my system. Oh well, it was cheap and helped me with my first build, but you definately get what you pay for... Seems like Chump's cheap PQI RAM is better than Kingston's by a lot, but I didn't no that until after I built my system and found the site.

I only raised the VID Offset to +.50mv and DRAM to 2.1v for my 4.4.4.12 @ 533(1:1) settings. VTT is stock at 1.20v as is NB chip at 1.60v. All other timings on Auto.

Tried to go to 420x8, but no reboot. I know I probably need to raise the volts at the point, but how do you guys know how much? Is it +12.5mv per 10Mhz FSB (CPU clock)? I remember Chump also mentioning raising the NB a bit for higher FSB as well.

Staying at 3.0Ghz (375x8) for now and will test more on Friday.

Thanks guys for all the help!!!! Have a :beer on me.:cool:

P.S. Also found that the buzz was coming from my line in from my ATI TV Tuner Card. Simply muting the line in took care of the buzz - except when watching TV. Will be trying a new grounding lead as suggested by another post on this site.

Baja Bum

Yesterday I installed the G.Skill's and now have no problem overclocking to 400x8=3.2Ghz!!!!:) It so nice the way this RAM sparks right up! I guess the Kingston I had (1GB 667Mhz) was the weak spot of my system. Oh well, it was cheap and helped me with my first build, but you definately get what you pay for... Seems like Chump's cheap PQI RAM is better than Kingston's by a lot, but I didn't no that until after I built my system and found the site.

I only raised the VID Offset to +.50mv and DRAM to 2.1v for my 4.4.4.12 @ 533(1:1) settings. VTT is stock at 1.20v as is NB chip at 1.60v. All other timings on Auto.

Tried to go to 420x8, but no reboot. I know I probably need to raise the volts at the point, but how do you guys know how much? Is it +12.5mv per 10Mhz FSB (CPU clock)? I remember Chump also mentioning raising the NB a bit for higher FSB as well.

Staying at 3.0Ghz (375x8) for now and will test more on Friday.

Thanks guys for all the help!!!! Have a :beer on me.:cool:

P.S. Also found that the buzz was coming from my line in from my ATI TV Tuner Card. Simply muting the line in took care of the buzz - except when watching TV. Will be trying a new grounding lead as suggested by another post on this site.

Baja Bum

I PQI RAM was the cheapest I could find to get me going until I knew what I wanted from the RAM & could make an informed decision as I had no idea about DDR2 coming from my socket 939/DDR1 rig.

Looks like I should hold my hand up to kallileo about the RAM holding you back but the way I saw it was the TRFC was raised automatically when you slacken the primary timings therefore ruling it out. IMO its the read delay that needed loosening to 7 or 8 to keep tight timings at high fsb but you tried loose timings & the 400 divider so that should not have been a problem anyway.

I can run 1000mhz + 4.4.4.12 with 2.4v all day without any extra NB or VTT as long as you raise the read delay to 8. If you want to keep it tighter you need lots more NB & DIMM voltage.

I think the only real way to see if you need extra CPU voltage is to gently raise the FSB & test for stability & add voltage as needed done in small steps you usually get to a point where the PC will boot & post but BSOD or reboot as it loads windows this is normally a sign you need a voltage bump.

Hey guys I have an update too...

Last week I bought 2x1GB Team Xtreem Dark Series ram and I also passed the 370FSB wall from the bios.

For now I'm at 413fsb 3300Mhz.....ram at 814 4-4-4-8.

I'm looking for a new radiator for my watercooling....and I don't have much time for tests.