E6400 Peaking at 2.8Ghz - Why?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story Chump. Sounds like you're having fun.

I have been trying different BIOS settings, pretty much copying the set-ups from the "O.C. Guide", to get past the 350 FSB wall that I have. Your post pretty much solidifies what I've been thinking as my system keeps failing to load the 350+ FSB settings - that is it must be my PSU. I know my Antec should have enough juice on paper, but it realistically is not giving enough power to boot. Example: after inputting the O.C. settings in Genie Bios, saving via F10, the system shuts down then power turns back on with the CPU fan running and all other fans running and lit up, then a clicking starts, but the screen stays black and no starting - Like when your car battery is dead: the starter clicks, but won't turnover. I also have to manually shut down, unplug PSU, reset via CMOS, then start back up and everything works fine under default settings. So, I'm thinking its the PSU. Agree?

I ran the Stress Prime 2004 Orthos test at the O.C. that I last had working before going up to 350 FSB, which was 327FSB @2.616Ghz and the tests all passed. But if I'm not mistaken, that test is a for CPU and Ram - right? So, it doesn't let me know if my PSU is faulty.

I am also thinking about replacing my RAM to a 2x1GB kit - my buget is about $250, so DDR2 6400 800Mhz seems about right- just trying to decide on which brand and specs: OCZ ATI or Platinum Revision 2 or Corsair XMS2 or Crucial...? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 4.4.4.12 or 4.4.4.15 or 5.5.5.15?

Funny thing, I was just about to order the OCZ 700W also as there's a rebate offer now + Zipzoomfly.com offers free shipping. How do you like yours?

-Baja Bummed :(

This was the last setting before I went up to 365Mhz CPU clock and CPU VID Offset +37.5, all other settings the same, which then failed to load. I tried lower DRAM Voltage (2.0-2.15) and lower NB chip (1.60, 1.65) and even 5.5.5.15 for timing. None made a difference. Although I don't remember which combo's I used for each.

I have since changed BIOS to the Beta 87TID213, but it didn't help. I have a project I'm working on so I've kept system at default Optimized Settings (2.13Ghz) just to have reliable shutdown/starting until I'm done.

"Please post a memset 3.1 screenshot" - I'm not familiar with that, so I just attached the shot I took a week ago.

Thanks for your interest - it's what makes this site so valuable.

-Baja Bum

I dont think your RAM is holding you back I have the cheapest crap RAM & I can boot my E6300 @ 490fsb with auto ram timings see my SIG for settings.

Add voltage to chip you are still at stock see Intel spec sheet below.

Set primary RAM timings to there stock spec

Leave all secondary timings on Auto

CIE makes no difference on or off

PPM needs to be disabled over 430-450fsb so thats not your problem

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9TB

I went to a stable setting that is just before failure to post:

326x8, +25mv VID, 1.3v VTT, 1.9v DRAM, 1.6V NB Chip.

RAM reset to stock: 5.5.5.15 - 533(1:1) and all AUTO Sub(secondary)settings.

Here's the Memset data:

Timmings:

5.5.5.15 - RMS=7.8ms

Subtimings:

Page Close Idle Timer: 16T

Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC): 28

Read Delay9(tRD): 7

Write to Precharge Comm.: 12

Write to Read Comm.: 10

Read-Write Turn clocks: 8

Write-Read Turn clocks: 5

Read to Precharge (tRTP): 4

Write-Write Turn clocks: 4

Earlier, with the same settings but raising FSB to 346Mhz and +37.5mv VID - IT WOULD NOT POST :mad: . So, Ive gone back to the 326x8=2.6Ghz you see above.

Also need advice on explaining to girlfriend why getting above 2.6Ghz is more important than going to shop with her...:drool: Then again her size 2 tilts the decision in her favor...:cool:

E6400 - right now at 2.809Mhz

2.809MHz? I thought those C2D chips were supposed to be good overclockers, and yours only gets to about 33% of the first 286s? :P Just kidding. I just had to have some fun with the M instead of G. Thanks for the smile though ;)

Baja Bum

Try to set TRFC to 35 with MemSet and overclock with clockgen in windows.

I'm sure that you will pass 400FSB with ease....use loose timings. Use 400 or 533 divider to be sure that your Ram isn't keeping you down.

It work for me and some ppl I know...

ClockGen

http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

Use this PLL for your mobo:

ICS 9PLRS509 (DFI 975X/G Infinity)

If it stop responding dont worry. It takes about 30s to apply your fsb settings.