A8r32-mvp Crossfire

My suggestion is to look at the Abit Crossfire board or the Asus Crossfire board (make sure it does not use the ULI chipset!)

I had a lot of problems with the CFX3200-DR/G. I'm on my 3rd board & will wait awhile before I swear it is trouble free.

I have an Abit AN8-32X that has the same chipsets as the DFI board. It was problem free & one of my easiest set-ups. This was with RAID through the ULI chipset & installing XP Pro x64.

The reason I put it to the side is that when installing X1950 cards the SATA connectors get bent in half & come off the board. I'm going to use the board in another system with smaller ATI cards.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a lot of problems with the CFX3200-DR/G. I'm on my 3rd board & will wait awhile before I swear it is trouble free.

I have an Abit AN8-32X that has the same chipsets as the DFI board. It was problem free & one of my easiest set-ups. This was with RAID through the ULI chipset & installing XP Pro x64.

The reason I put it to the side is that when installing X1950 cards the SATA connectors get bent in half & come off the board. I'm going to use the board in another system with smaller ATI cards.

Get the Asus, better to buy new and as this guy states the Abit gets some of its SATA ports blocked with long cards. I was really going for the Abit myself till I read about the whole blocked ports thing as the whole point for me to get the 3200 s939 CF board was to put a couple of x1950 pros and they are long, and I plan on adding more drives as the funds become available.:tooth:

One of these days, I'm going to get this mobo myself, as it seems like the only viable solution for my crossfire setup. I haven't researched it myself, but I won't be going back to DFI after this crap they pulled with this board.

One of these days, I'm going to get this mobo myself, as it seems like the only viable solution for my crossfire setup. I haven't researched it myself, but I won't be going back to DFI after this crap they pulled with this board.

would have to agree with you,big let down with dfi on the cfx3200

will think twice about getting dfi again

Get the Asus, better to buy new and as this guy states the Abit gets some of its SATA ports blocked with long cards. I was really going for the Abit myself till I read about the whole blocked ports thing as the whole point for me to get the 3200 s939 CF board was to put a couple of x1950 pros and they are long, and I plan on adding more drives as the funds become available.:tooth:

You have to be careful with the Asus boards also. I have an A8N-SLI here also, & a X1950 would interfere with the SATA connectors. IIRC, the SATA ports are in the same place with the SLI & Crossfire boards. An 1800 series card would seem to fit though.

Abit really has gotten their act together in the last couple of years. Using x64 really hasn't been a hindrance with the last couple of boards I've built, RAID drivers & all. It's been pretty much pack the board full of components, load the OS, F6 the RAID driver, & sit back & relax. None of this minimum build stuff, then adding another piece & praying that it works, before adding the next component & repeating the prayer until you're done.

The Asus board is fine for x32 usage, but finding drivers that work with NVIDIA RAID under x64 has been impossible.

You have to be careful with the Asus boards also. I have an A8N-SLI here also, & a X1950 would interfere with the SATA connectors. IIRC, the SATA ports are in the same place with the SLI & Crossfire boards. An 1800 series card would seem to fit though.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/asus-...vp/index.x?pg=4 They fixed it on this board and the X1950 pros are one slot cooler cards, at least some are, so you won't lose any expansion slots.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/asus-...vp/index.x?pg=4 They fixed it on this board and the X1950 pros are one slot cooler cards, at least some are, so you won't lose any expansion slots.

The cooler on the x1950 will hit the red & black SATA ports next to the chipset cooler. It looks like the removal of the full length cooler on the X1950 Pro will help access to the SATA ports.

board.jpg

This looks like it will clear the SATA ports, but will still take up a double slot because of the cooler.

imageview.php?image=8555

If I had the short cooler this card has I wouldn't have made the switch to DFI:

1138396112_462.jpg

I guess I'll be throwing together the Abit AT8-32X as a secondary system. Does anyone have a link for video card power consumption, preferably max consumption?

i've put a new system together with a CFX 3200-dr and I can say it is the biggest crap i've ever had. After 4 weekes it didn't boot anymore just stuck in one of the many post errors and i know one guy how has the same problem like me. My question is should i take the Asus A8R-MVP or the Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe for a Opteron148 and for one X1950Pro? The A8R32-MVP is 30€ higher but right know i dont care about the price. But i want to OC alittle.

Other question is i own 2x 512MB OCZ EL Dual CH PL-Edition and 2x 512MB CorsAir CMX512. Can i use both with the ASUS or should i use just one brand and if which one?