8800GTS problem

Guest ElAguila_merged

Guest ElAguila

I just got the eVGA 8800GTS installed in my lp nf590. I have a problem when I reboot the machine. Everytime I reboot, the monitor turns amber before it even posts and won't come on. After I reboot if I turn off the machine then turn it back on and press the reset button after I hear the speaker beep, it will come up with no problems. Is there something wrong with the card or is something else happening?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ElAguila

I found an older thread that talks about the same issue. That person has a GTX and the same monitor as I do. When I restart if I leave it alone, the monitor will turn on when it gets to the windows login screen. It has something do with the way this card communicates with the monitor on warm boots.

• 3 weeks later...

When nVidia finally gets off it rear end and releases a suitable driver for the 8800 series, you and everyone else that are complaining with issues with this card will finally get what you paid for. Never in my life did I think I would actually see a company with a customer base like it has continue to release cards three months or longer before they release decent drivers for a particular card. With every new nVidia release over the last year, for the first few months all you heardhear out of people that purchases them is how screwed up and how their new high end cards don't perform or work like they should. Nuts.

When nVidia finally gets off it rear end and releases a suitable driver for the 8800 series, you and everyone else that are complaining with issues with this card will finally get what you paid for. Never in my life did I think I would actually see a company with a customer base like it has continue to release cards three months or longer before they release decent drivers for a particular card. With every new nVidia release over the last year, for the first few months all you heardhear out of people that purchases them is how screwed up and how their new high end cards don't perform or work like they should. Nuts.

Well this is not the case with all the customers! I had 5 different cards in the last 2 years as well as I ran SLI and never had any "major" problems. Yes the 7900 row of cards were driving me nuts as well with all the mem problems but I never had any driver issues. :)

Quazi

Failure to initialize the monitor at bootup is not a driver problem since the drivers are not loaded till Windows loads.

You should save your rants for the appropriate thread.

ElAguila

The problem is the way the card reads the EDID table stored in the monitor. Like most hardware conflicts the manufacturers point their finger at each other.

There really is no workaround for it. Either an updated EDID table or video card bios is needed to solve the issue.

Which one is anybody's guess as it's unknown who is to blame.

Quazi

Failure to initialize the monitor at bootup is not a driver problem since the drivers are not loaded till Windows loads.

You should save your rants for the appropriate thread.

ElAguila

The problem is the way the card reads the EDID table stored in the monitor. Like most hardware conflicts the manufacturers point their finger at each other.

There really is no workaround for it. Either an updated EDID table or video card bios is needed to solve the issue.

Which one is anybody's guess as it's unknown who is to blame.

AMEN

Ok,

I just bought an eVGA 8800GTS card to replace my 7900GTX in my rig#1 (see signature below). I uninstalled the drivers before taking the 7900GTX out, ran Driver Cleaner Pro and rebooted. Installed new 8800GTS, installed latest Nvidia 97.92 and rebooted.

Now the fun starts. Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 all with latest patches and latest drivers do not work correctly. Dark Messiah is better. Less freezes. Got to test other games. Just impossible to play them.

Also the mouse freezes continuously, a fraction of a second but still very, very annoying. Looking at the WinXP task manager, the CPU usage spikes every time the freeze occurs, I can’t really pinpoint what it is, which lets me believe that something (Antivirus?) is interfering with the video drivers? I read somewhere that that might be a cause.

Is it the card or is it the Nvidia drivers? I tend to believe is the later. Too many people are having issues with the 8800 cards.

Anybody having similar problems? Needless to say, nothing like this with the 7900GTX and 92s series drivers.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hi there! Did you try the 97.44 drivers! I had the 97.92 installed for about a day and took them off again because of frame drops. I didn’t have freezing and stuff but I thought I should mention it to you! To make sure there is no problem with your windows and the software you are running I would do a new win install and would only install the necessary things. No virus software etc. like it is your concern! :)

I had a BFG 8800 GTS and had my own issues as well. On a fresh install of Windows XP Pro with all of the latest drivers and the latest Nvidia drivers, I would get really weird lockups and what not. Particularly in one game I cannot mention due to an NDA agreement, the entire screen gets dark with the exception of the edges which have an overbloom which makes it bleached out. Sort of like the picture you see for the movie The Ring. Really freaky if you as me. It is not so dark that it is unplayable, but it sucks because it make the game so crappy looking.

I removed the drivers and used Driver Cleaner and then loaded the oem drivers and same problem. During my fit of insanity I did a fresh install of Windows.. nothing. Then out of sheer frustration I took the card back and got another.. same problem. Out of frustration I cleaned all the drivers yet again and threw in my old x800 GTO2 that is modded to an x850 and lo and behold, no problem.

It has to be the absolutely . Nvidia drivers for the 8800, absolutely no question about it. I had the problem I mentioned above plus hard lockups, BSOD's and a myriad of other errors in the two weeks I was using that card. I've been beta testing the game in question since early last year and never had an issue and once I slapped that card in it was evident the video drivers are not right. I asked other individuals I know who have other gen Nvidia cards and they do not experience the issues I was having.