8800GTS problem

Guest ElAguila_merged

After having horrid performance from the 8800GTX from the eggpeople, and the card beeps real loud when I power down.

I decided to google some info and found that my card which is going back rma has the bad resistor.

It's all here, so please be careful.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/417/1/

I would suggest getting the OC version from tiger direct as their stock is purged of the bad cards and it's faster for a few bucs more.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CapnKirk: That link is from Nov of last year. That problem was taken care of long ago. There is no reason to buy from tigerdirect instead of newegg.

Oh really..

Then explain this.

The link may be from 2 or 3 months ago, which isn't that long.

Second, The card I got last week from newegg has the resistor in that article because I checked it for crap and giggles, and it beeps loud when I power down, plus it runs like crap.

They were going to send me a replacement overnight, no charge and all of a sudden the vendor in TN. stop shipping from his inventory of them.

And now, when I click on my old invoice order on newegg I get this message.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but the item you are looking for has been deactivated. Here are some similar products that you may wish to consider:

This is what I ordered from them that has the bad resistor.

Item(s) shipped from TN Tracking Number:

1 BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Item #: N82E16814143075

Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy $609.99

LINK here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814143075

Still some on the shelves as you can see.

Worked out better since I got the OC version which I didn't know was out.

Well thats not to say there might be a few cards that slipped through the cracks and still have the faulty resistor. Look at all of the other 8800's that are doing just fine.

Edit: 2-3 months is a long time in the technology world.

Yeah I know, but they sent me a bad card and doa OCZ memory which I now have to be bothered to return.

Plus egg charged $67 tax and tiger charges no tax.

I always buy from egg, first time I'm buying from tiger, but lately newegg has been screwing up my orders, billing and lied to me about the shipping time, again!

Spent 8 grand there, so they can kiss my arse for a while.

Probably 20 bucs less because it was rma or dropped on the floor.

Sick of them right now.

You can't blame newegg for charging you tax. Thats the state law that you live in. I also pay tax at newegg and it really isn't that big of a deal. I've only bought from TD once and everything went smoothly but I think newegg is still the superior eTailer

Howdy,

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents here by telling you that my woes with the new 8800GTS may be over or partially resolved.

As I mentioned in my post of 2 days ago, I was having all sorts of freezes and lockups. I started the process of troubleshooting the problem and went through several steps, some can be found here.

I had read somewhere that the 97.92 Nvidia driver may cause problems with antivirus programs. So now I disabled the antivirus, firewall and all that the McAfee 2007 program was using and reinstalled Battlefield 2142. And guess what the game plays flawlessly. Now with benchmarks things are kind of wild still. Frame rate vary. One Aquamark 3 test gives me a score of 109,120, and few minutes later the same test drops to 107,134.....

I have to try the 92.44 drivers. My second eVGA 8800GTS is coming today or tomorrow and I will test SLI for the first time. So I will report what happens.

I thought my experience may be helpfull to other people here.

Later with more news