Want to drop in Opty 165 but keep RAM

marcopolo

I have a problem. My current set-up is sig below. Basically I want to remove the A64 3000 and drop in an opty 165. I am trying to minimise expense so only want to change CPU (and graphics card later).

Here is my problem: I'm oc'd to 2.5GHz. I could not push this higher as my Ram divider would not drop below 150 (I need to run the divider as corsair value does not oc!). ie - 3/4. 140,133 etc didn't work for some strange reason. I know it's not the CPU limiting as I even tried it with the CPU stock FSB freq. So if i'm going to have my opty at 2.7+GHz, how do I get there without changing my RAM - because I cannot drop the divider any lower.

Help.

Your Ram is going to limit you no matter what. Your lucky to even get it to run in these boards. They were not designed with Value anything in mind. I think your going to have to accept whatever you get till you replace your Ram with a quality set. Your next expence should be Ram no matter what. You won't get the performance your looking for till you do. Most of the time Value ram ends up being Value because it is speed bend meaning it didn't even test at ddr400. It is possible you may find out your Opty won't even boot with your ram

YOu need ram that can at least do 225Mhz as the 165 opty defaults too x9 multi so Htt at 300, mem divider at 150, ht multi at x3, and you will get your 2700mhz on your opty, if your getting what you say from your existing ram then its doubtful your gonna get your hoped for cpu speed without getting other memory.....

See what at guy thefabe said, yup an at as well :)

Logan

I think my good friends :) here at DFI-Street have given you the word about Value RAM. SO enough said there.

Should I just drop in the opty 165 at 2.5GHz then?

Not unless you plan to re-install the OS.

Upgrading from Single to a Dual core needs some prep work. BACKUP your data!!! If you fail at changing out the x2 CPU you will most likely need to re-install the OS. I’ve change out many of CPU’s you just need to follow a plan.

Your BIOS will need to be at 2005/06/23 or higher to support dual core.

Clear the CMOS, Load Optimized Defaults and get to a stable stock point.

Check out Wevsspot thread. He had great success in upgrading from a single core to dual core. Check his post here.

Then install the latest X2 processor driver and Dual Core Optimizer. AMD Dual-Core Optimizer

Prime95 dual core setup check this link; an X2 CPU for dual Prime95 stability testing.

I believe with an opty you cannot use divider below 150. Praz or some other folks can confirm please?
I could not use any divider under 150 with any of my Opty’s.

I would just backup the data, then clean install, to make sure that Windows will run on the multiprocessor HAL.

I've gotten Corsair Value RAM to work on my PC, but not over 220MHz, and my 170 doesn't like low dividers either.

Use the 2/3 divider (DDR133). That should give you slightly under 200mhz on your ram if you're planning to do 300x9.

I'm currently using DDR133 on my opty @ 2808. I wish I cuold push my ram more, but it seems if I use any dividers higher than 133, it fails prime within a few seconds, even with ultra loose timings. So I guess I'm content at the moment.