CFX3200 vs. RDX200 /w GSkill TCCD

Just a quick question...

I know I should just upgrade to 2GB of ram, but for the time being I'm stuck trying to decide something. My current RDX200 is working fine, but is basically discontinued and doesn't officially "support" TCCD memory (or so I was told by GSkill customer support.

I know I could get this system running at 290x10 1:1 2.5-3-3-7 with watercooling or better air cooling, as the previous owner of this cpu/mobo/ram combo had done it. The problem is that the RDX200 is ridiculously flaky and picky when it comes to my TCCD and I'm starting to get very frustrated trying to work out the secondary memory timings.

My question is...does the CFX3200 generally work better with TCCD ram compared to the RDX200?

I'm in no real rush to switch camps and go C2D, but I don't want to do much more then upgrade this mobo to get more out of my current OC...because if I move to 2GB of ram, get a dualcore A64 and a new mobo I might as well switch to C2D afterall.

So what do you all think, would it be worth picking up a CFX3200 to finish pushing my current system? I seem to remember my friend that had this cpu/mobo/ram combo running it just over 3GHz on h2O, and I have very little confidence in the RDX200, as it has intermitent quirky issues even with stable OC's.

I Would Go With The Cfx3200-dr Its 10 Times Better Than Rdx 200 FOR STABILITY

I'm really starting to consider it. The board's still worth $250 CDN where I live, so it's a bit of an expense.

I think I'm gonna put money into a VF900 for my X850XT mastercard and a CNPS9700LED for the CPU and go from there.

It'd be really nice if I could find someone around here who could help me even just get this system stable at 280x10 1:1 2.5-3-3-7...I'm having real issues getting it running at all at CAS2.5, and with the temporary stability I've seen, I was getting 20fps gains in Aquamark3 just from going to CAS2.5...so you can imagine how I REALLY wanna figure it out. :cool:

Just a quick question...

I know I should just upgrade to 2GB of ram, but for the time being I'm stuck trying to decide something. My current RDX200 is working fine, but is basically discontinued and doesn't officially "support" TCCD memory (or so I was told by GSkill customer support.

I know I could get this system running at 290x10 1:1 2.5-3-3-7 with watercooling or better air cooling, as the previous owner of this cpu/mobo/ram combo had done it. The problem is that the RDX200 is ridiculously flaky and picky when it comes to my TCCD and I'm starting to get very frustrated trying to work out the secondary memory timings.

My question is...does the CFX3200 generally work better with TCCD ram compared to the RDX200?

I'm in no real rush to switch camps and go C2D, but I don't want to do much more then upgrade this mobo to get more out of my current OC...because if I move to 2GB of ram, get a dualcore A64 and a new mobo I might as well switch to C2D afterall.

So what do you all think, would it be worth picking up a CFX3200 to finish pushing my current system? I seem to remember my friend that had this cpu/mobo/ram combo running it just over 3GHz on h2O, and I have very little confidence in the RDX200, as it has intermitent quirky issues even with stable OC's.

I just overclocked my CFX3200 tonight. I am running an Opty 165 and TCCD and I was able to hit 2.7GHZ just like I did in the Expert. The Zalman 9500 I am using is keeping the CPU nice and cool.

Jason

Cornelious, I can only give you my experience, but it seems the CFX-3200 is really weird when it comes to dividers. What I can run stable on a 1:1 divider, I can't run on the 166 or even 150 divider.

I can run my G.Skill TCCD memtest overnight stable at 295 2.5-4-3-7 on the 1:1 divider. If I use any divider from 166 on down, I can't let my ram go over 254mhz, or everything errors out. So as long as you don't run a divider, you should be fine.

Cornelious, I can only give you my experience, but it seems the CFX-3200 is really weird when it comes to dividers. What I can run stable on a 1:1 divider, I can't run on the 166 or even 150 divider.

I can run my G.Skill TCCD memtest overnight stable at 295 2.5-4-3-7 on the 1:1 divider. If I use any divider from 166 on down, I can't let my ram go over 254mhz, or everything errors out. So as long as you don't run a divider, you should be fine.

Thats interesting. Last night I was playing with dividers on my CFX 3200 and moved from a 1:1 at 2.7GHZ and I was able to use both a 166 and 180 divider, hit 2.8 GHZ . I also booted into windows with no issues. I am running and Opty 165 so I did turn up the voltage to 1.50

Jason

• 1 month later...

I dunno, it's been awhile now, but I'm looking to take another delve into overclocking this thing and figuring out the memory again.

I just realised the other day that my RDX200 is a rev. A01, not sure HOW much that's working against me...but hopefully I'll be able to come to some kind of conclusion.

Guest LookBackX2

I am using a 183/200 memory ratio with my rig. For the longest time I couldn't get anything to run on a divider myself, but it seems that I've found the trick. Explanation is in order? yes.

Here goes.

It's simple, I happened to hit a fsb using while using this ratio that set my memory right dead on stock ddr500. I didn't notice at first but after a few minutes of bandwidth testing, and latency testing in sandra, I noticed that my sticks were kicking the $#!^ out of the previous settings just a mhz or two slower. In other words a huge performance difference was noticed from a small fsb adjustement. So I reasoned that this board or my Opty didn't like "in-between" frequencies such as ddr503.88897. lol that should be obvious, but not to me. I had to experience proof to realize it.

To cut it short, I left my timings as they were, went strait to the next fsb value that would net a nice round memory clock and everything is perfectly stable. Dual primed for 18h30min, and pushed me to a dead even 30sec 1m superPi time.

The settings were 286fsb, 1.39vcore, 180/200 mem ratio for a speed of DDR520.

I haven't calculated where the next higher "sweet spot" is, but I'll be finding it this weekend. My sticks will do ddr540ish, so I might as well push em up there,,,right?:rolleyes:

My CFX-3200 is picky on the dividers too... Hates the 166 and 180 dividers, gonna try 140 just for kicks tonight...

I can run 1:1 just fine though. DDR560 on these sticks... I'm happy.

Didn't check your sig, but if you run RAID just be careful for the ULi chipset crap.

And, like I said, no specific memory is supported by the boards.

I am using a 183/200 memory ratio with my rig. For the longest time I couldn't get anything to run on a divider myself, but it seems that I've found the trick. Explanation is in order? yes.

Here goes.

It's simple, I happened to hit a fsb using while using this ratio that set my memory right dead on stock ddr500. I didn't notice at first but after a few minutes of bandwidth testing, and latency testing in sandra, I noticed that my sticks were kicking the $#!^ out of the previous settings just a mhz or two slower. In other words a huge performance difference was noticed from a small fsb adjustement. So I reasoned that this board or my Opty didn't like "in-between" frequencies such as ddr503.88897. lol that should be obvious, but not to me. I had to experience proof to realize it.

To cut it short, I left my timings as they were, went strait to the next fsb value that would net a nice round memory clock and everything is perfectly stable. Dual primed for 18h30min, and pushed me to a dead even 30sec 1m superPi time.

The settings were 286fsb, 1.39vcore, 180/200 mem ratio for a speed of DDR520.

I haven't calculated where the next higher "sweet spot" is, but I'll be finding it this weekend. My sticks will do ddr540ish, so I might as well push em up there,,,right?:rolleyes:

Good luck man, I wanna delve back into my RDX200 and work on the memory timings some more...I've got it perfectly benchmark stable at 290x10 with the memory on the 180MHz dividor at 2.5-3-3-6 and I'm clearing 7.4GB/s in Sandra...just gotta work on day to day stability...even at 280x10 with those timings and I'll be happy.

The kicker is that the previous owner of this cpu/mobo/ram had the combo up to 280x10 1:1 2.5-3-3-6 1T on air and I can't for the life of me figure out the timings to take it there. :sad: