Chipset temperatures

Well, finally I solved my initial problems by changing the graphics card and my system runs quiet stable now.

But now I have a question about the temps of the NF4 chipset:

How high shall they be? What are good temps for idle/gaming?

ATM my graphics card covers the chipset fan partly. Shall / Can I change this? Is the second PCI-E lane 16x capable?

My temps are:

idle: 49 ° (about 4200 RPM) // gaming 56 ° (about 5800 RPM max speed)

I use Smartguardian to adjust the fan speeds automatically.

theyre a little warm but nothing to worry about...you can easily drop your temp by 5c-10c using as5..(just be careful) or changing the heat sink(a variety of them out there)personally if you dont feel like ripping your mobo out and taking the fan/heatsink off and changing it or applying some as5 to the heat sync your temps are within tolerance

Well, i read through that post.

There is written, that there is only a very small difference between x16 and x8 on PCI-e. Is this also true for newer graphics cards?

What do you think, shall I place my graphics card to the other lane where it does not block the fan anymore?

When I started oc'ing my gfx card, I discovered a "hangning" fan blowing at back of card/chipset helped reducing temps. I added 80mm fan thats hanging on a string ;) Chipset temps dropped dramatically AND chipset fans NEVER ever raise too loud.

EDIT //

I also re-applied AS5, but it had NO effect on temps.

You can run the card at x16 or x8 with no difference in performance. A 7900GTX doesn't posses the capability to even come close to requiring the bandwidth that x8 supplies.

Like Praz says no diff enable sli and run it in the 2nd slot, i done the same when i ran one gfx initialy exactly for the same reason as your seeing, then i thought what the hell and pulled the stock chipset fan and stuck some AS5 on it and Boom temps dropped about 8C, then when i eventually went SLi (2xGfx) i pulled the stock HSF from the chipset again and replaced it with the Evercool VC-RE pulled the temps down again as they had risen when SLi was enabled....And a few months later went one further by adding 120mm case fan pointing directly over that area....

Logan