Looking for a new cooler

Kingfisher

My Zalman cnps7700 Cu is getting long in the tooth. I was thinking of getting a thermalright xp-120.

or

thermalright ultra 120

Looking at my specs, do you folks have an opinion on these or any other cooler that would perform better ?

I am looking for maximum cooling as my chip can reach 3ghz and beyond. If these are not much better than my zalman I may have to look into water as a solution, though I really rather not spend that much. I was only looking to spend $50 or so.

Those will be better....but it'll depend on what fan you use with them. If you can handle a noisy fan you'll have a pretty significant drop over the Zalman, but if you want the same noise level then you really won't be getting any more performance.

The heatsinks appear to take a mounted 120 mm fan, I have an antec variable speed fan with the little thermometer on it to use. These don't get loud though.

I get temps above the 50c mark when I push over 3 ghz. I know this chip can go higher but spending $200 or more on water just to see is not really cost effective.

Thanks for the tips, Dan.

Think that thing( SI-128) can really cool down a chip running @ 1.55v or so? My Zalman struggles to keep things under 52c running 2 ones of Prime95.

And wangerin, every time I see your posts I start singing "want" by disturbed.

Wondering now, pondering now, hungering (or wangerin)

Won't let you say that you're

Questioning, wavering (or wangerin), weakening....