Heatsink Question - Zalman CNPS7000B

Guest munan_merged

I was going to buy the Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU heatsink for my MOBO but from the pictures I have seen it looks like I would have to move my dual memory out of the orange slots to the yellow slots. Does anyone have a familiar setup that could advise me or suggest a different heat sink? I want to OC a bit.

183F69FB-E0C4-E986-7B5C2A9A679098A6.JPG

1843F17F-E0C4-E986-7933070A5607F618.JPG

can you turn it 90 degrees? looks like there's a gap between the sink blades...

Nope, can't be turned.

And I that looks like the 7700...

In any case, 'normal' ram will fit underneath even the 7700 in the orange slots. Normal being anything that isn't Mushkin or any other ram with tall heatspreaders. Your OCZ ought to fit.

Those pictures you posted above are of the 7700 model, not the 7000. You can fit memory in the orange slots with the 7700 (that's where mine are), but I'm not sure about the 7000.

Ahhh sorry - I did not realize that. Then this is what confused me. I will go ahead and order the Zalman CNPS7700-ALCU LGA775 S462 S478 S754 S939 S940 ALUM-COP 1000-2000RPM 20-32DBA CPU Heatsinkfan and all should be well. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13701

Cheers and thank you.

munan

• 3 weeks later...
I will go ahead and order the Zalman CNPS7700-ALCU LGA775 S462 S478 S754 S939 S940 ALUM-COP 1000-2000RPM 20-32DBA CPU Heatsinkfan and all should be well. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13701

munan

Okay I have the heatsink and was wondering if I have to remove my mobo to do this or can I use the existing backplate that is currently holding the stock heatsink and fan. It looks like I have to also remove the yellow bracket that is there now? Any suggestions from those with the same setup would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers - munan

the ALCU wont give u as much cooling as the CU

Yea. I was a bit paranoid about hanging the extra weight so opted for the lighter of the two. I don't plant to OC too heavy.

Okay I have the heatsink and was wondering if I have to remove my mobo to do this or can I use the existing backplate that is currently holding the stock heatsink and fan. It looks like I have to also remove the yellow bracket that is there now? Any suggestions from those with the same setup would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers - munan

I was looking at the build pictures http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20832 and it looks like I have my answer - I have to remove the stock heatsink attachment before I can mount the new one. Someone had told me you could mount it on the one that is there now. I don't think so.

For my one, you did have to remove the backplate yes, as the mounting system uses Zalman "nipples"... pretty good system, I like it over the mounting of the 9700.... (although annoying if you need to change again though, board has to come out!)