Dual Core Nightmare

juvenile2k

Juvenile, get to basics. Set everything to stock settings. Forget the OC for now. Make sure that at stock settings your RAM will pass MemTest86 in your BIOS, then boot to windows. By passing Memtest, I mean 8 passes of all tests. This will take ~8 hours or over night as you wish. Then boot to Windows and test for P95 stability. Steady as you go. You need to thoroughly test RAM and cpu to figure out where your problems lie.

I also assume that this is your power supply?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont believe there is a thermal throttling option in the infinity bios. Yes I do have that Antec Trio in there for the moment. The really f'd up thing is that it primed for 7 hours last night before it shut off, no errors.

It wasnt a faulty power switch and it pretty much leaves.

1. My raptor HDD

1. The CPU (even though its theoretically stable as hell)

I tested my buddies ram in my computer and it still shut off, I also tested my Ram and Video card and his with no problems.

Im going to get a HDD from my friend tonight and if that doesnt work. I'm gonna go nuts and RMA EVERYTHING in the computer.

Well, After priming for 7 hours I think its pretty safe to say I have found the problem.

The videocard.

I have never in my building experience come across such a weird and majorly intermittent problem. Finally I can play some games without having to worry about my computer shutting off.

I have never in my building experience come across such a weird and majorly intermittent problem.

I know exactly what you mean. Both of my optical drives decided to crap out at the same time. One was an older DVD ROM that was making occasional grinding sounds. The surpriser was the BENQ DVD burner going also. It would intermittently fail at writing DVD's. like every 4th dvd or so. Hard to tell it apart from a bad natch of DVD's. It would burn a CD, but fail occasionally at DVD's. Also, I could get Dx8 gamebs to install, but not run because the disc could not be read properly and I believe the installs were corrupt on some level because the burner was not reading properly. And it all happened right after upgrading to my X2 cpu and GX2 vid card. I thought initially that the Dx8 games just weren't happy with the new hardware. Nope. My opticals were reading poorly and subtly corrupting the installs. The last thing that the burner did right was make one good copy of a Ghost image after I reinstalled the OS a third time before I realized where the problem actually was. So the burner didn't totally let me down. As a matter of fact, I used that image for the current OS install I'm running right now.

Glad to see you solved the problem!

I dont believe there is a thermal throttling option in the infinity bios.

You're right..I looked at the manual for your MOBO. The BIOS has some differences.

Glad that you got it sorted.

Happy Gaming

:)