Is my thinking right here?

WintersFury

Ok, I won't be able to play around with my board any for a while as it's technically a christmas present to me.

And since I'm confused on how dividers and all work on an Intel system as I've never used one I just want to make sure my thinking is correct here.

Now the 533 divider is a 1:1 with 1066 fsb, correct?

Which would make the memory speed half the bus speed. So if I have DDR2-800 memory that would give me the ability to do 1600 fsb or 400 in the bios at 1:1?

And the only other divider lower than 533 is the 400? Now this is where I'm not sure on calculating the ram speed in relation to the fsb speed. Cause it would be 2.6:1 (cpu to memory) and the way I'm calculating it would only give me 661 on the memory?

I'm not too worried about it as the difference between 2800MHz and ~3000MHz on the cpu won't give me much differnce while gaming. But I just want to make sure I'm doing my calculations for the 533 divider correctly.

Thanks for letting me know I'm doing it correctly / incorrectly. And if I did 4x512MB memory sticks would this cause me any problems? As I can get another 2x512MB of the memory in my sig (Which would let me get a higher FSB at 1:1) or I may trade them in for a pair of 2x1GB sticks if it'll cause me headaches.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any responses :)

The dividers are calculated WRT the DDR clocks; so for the DDR-400 setting your FSB:RAM ratio is actually 1066:2*400 --> 1066:800 --> 1.3:1

So w/ DDR-800 RAM you would be able to increase the FSB by 260% before your RAM would be running @ its stock speeds.

:confused: Ok, still confused... I guess it'll make more sence when I have the board powered up in front of me and I can change settings and see what the changes do to everything.

Thanks for trying though :D

Though using the 1.3:1 I came up with something very similar to what I had with the 2.6:1. I think I was using a double pumped ram bus instead of a quad. Or something like that. However I did it, I seemed to come up with the right answer the wrong way ;)

The RAM clock is only double-pumped and the FSB is quad pumped. The CPU speed is the actual FSB times its multiplier. RAM specs are listed by actual clocks and the MB FSB is listed as its effective (pumped) speed.

For DDR-533 you get 1:1 as follows

RAM*2:FSB*4 --> 533*2:266.5*4 --> 1066:1066 --> 1:1

The RAM clock is only double-pumped and the FSB is quad pumped. The CPU speed is the actual FSB times its multiplier. RAM specs are listed by actual clocks and the MB FSB is listed as its effective (pumped) speed.

For DDR-533 you get 1:1 as follows

RAM*2:FSB*4 --> 533*2:266.5*4 --> 1066:1066 --> 1:1

so at stock speeds, you would set the divivder to 400, to get the cpu running at 1066 and the ram running at ddr2 800? OR is the only way to get ddr2 800 speeds is to set the fsb to 400mhz?

so at stock speeds, you would set the divivder to 400, to get the cpu running at 1066 and the ram running at ddr2 800? OR is the only way to get ddr2 800 speeds is to set the fsb to 400mhz?

@ stock speeds W/ DDR2-800 you set the "divider" to 800; resulting in a RAM:CPU Divider of:

2*RAM:4*FSB --> 2*800:4*266.5 --> 1600:1066 --> ~1.5:1

If you were to set the divider to 400 you would have to go to a 533MHz FSB to achieve stock speeds on DDR2-800 RAM