Cooling

user001

Why is cooling so important - o.k., not to fry my CPU - but...

I have a Duron1.2GHz and i am able to reach 1370Mhz (stable), but any attempt to go faster fails. At max. load temp. is 47c (very cheap air cooler).

So, what could i benefit from better cooling? Would i be able to push it even faster - does higer temp. mean worse OC?

Yes, higher temp generally means better OC's. Of course there is a limit a chip can reach, but low temps help a lot. Also, low temperatures keep your components alive longer. If you case is being cooked at 40c constantly, don't be surprised if you lose a component every few months.

But most importantly, a system that can stay 30c under load makes for good bragging rights. :)

40C? Modders and overclockers are so picky! Sony Vaios run at like 50 case temp and those are fine. Computers can take more then 40C, just because we don't want them to doesn't mean anything.

Not to flame ravix, but I'm sick and tired of people saying that 40C is a bad CPU temp and that 50 will fry hardware. It just doesn't work like that!

There are just limiations the hardware it self has, and thats that.

Let's put it this way, high temps makes your computer fails, so the better your HS is to cool your CPU the greater the gap is between ok temps and failure. that's why peeps go water cooling, to get even lower temps on CPU's to get it a little higher and faster which rises the temps and so on :P

get better cooling> vapochill> lower temps than with WC> up it more > OC addict :lol:

Edited by kobalt

40C? Modders and overclockers are so picky! Sony Vaios run at like 50 case temp and those are fine. Computers can take more then 40C, just because we don't want them to doesn't mean anything.

Not to flame ravix, but I'm sick and tired of people saying that 40C is a bad CPU temp and that 50 will fry hardware. It just doesn't work like that!

There are just limiations the hardware it self has, and thats that.

Well after about two years, my 50C temps fried my board :blink:

I don't know about you DevilMB3017, but when driving a car (especially a muscle car), I like to keep my engine as cool as possible. High temperatures will have a degenerating effect over time, decreasing the life span. Computers are no different. More power = more heat = premature failure. 50 degrees may not outright fry a computer, but it will do it a lot faster than 30 degrees.

I know heat's not good, but my first computer was a 1.4 T-bird, and that sucker ran around 60C, of course that's because I knew nothing about computers and neither did the guy who helped me build it, the hs was on backwards and the chip was totally covered in thermal grease. Sure low temps are better for lots of reasons, but if your cpu hangs around mid 40s I doubt if it will kill it in the next year or so.

Edited by young-joseph

Guest Ballz2TheWallz

oh **** your board fryed at 50C my chip under full load in sandra bun in hit 55C and thats baaaddd

originally posted by ravix

If you case is being cooked at 40c constantly

originally posted by DevilMB3017

I agree with you 110% that 40c isn't bad for a cpu, mine runs around 42-44c. :) But if my CASE was always running at 40 degrees, I'd expect the life of my components to lower.

Also, I didn't mean that it would all-out fry your hardware, just lower the life-span. I don't know why that got you so hot and bothered :huh:

Edited by ravix

Thanks guys, i get it now...

I have opened the window of my room (it is quite cold out there), so CPU temp. is much lower... i have been able to push it up to 1420MHz "stable" (Sisoft sandra Burn-in Wizzard/passed !! ) max. temp. 42.5c

I will get myself better cooler... soon!!