• 5-6 months
    • 7-8 months
    • 9-10 months
    • 11-12 months
    • every year
    • every other year
    • whenever I have the money to do so

Guest r3d c0m3t

I've done so about two or three times this year. Each better than the last, my current rig is my best achievement to date. Not to mention I'm about to do so again, but on a somewhat smaller scale. :)

Feel free to include if you've done so more than once within the time span.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn, lucky :P

i can only do it when i got the cash. which means my rig in the sig is what i'll have for the next 2-3 years or so :(

by then intel will have its "core 64 8^2" out for consumers.. lol

edit: Ahh yes rules of thumb. My dad always says, "don't upgrade unless you're getting 100% more out of a new box." psh

I seem to be hitting cpu's for my main rig at least every 6 mo's. (sniffing around for an opty in the new year.... :) ).

Always some other upgrades to make during that period whether it's gpu, HDD, mem, cooling, or just plain bling.

I'm feeding 3 full time desktops with another normally in flux from leftovers.

I'm in the group that shys away from new technology. After being in the computer industry in one way or another, most of my life, (from the manufacturing/test/repair side), I tend to stick to proven technology. I let the kids that have the time, money, and energy to figure out the bugs and work-arounds, etc. Then I'll move forward. But cautiously.

Yeah still running socket A technology right now, but who knows, if I get the money, maybe I'll move up a bit soon.

I upgrade my system part by part.

When i have enough old parts i build a 'new' rig from that stuff and use it as a 2nd rig for downloading and trying out games / programs.

A few months ago i upgraded my brothers rig with my old parts.

He was happy and i had room on the shelfs.

I seem to be hitting cpu's for my main rig at least every 6 mo's. (sniffing around for an opty in the new year.... :) ).

Always some other upgrades to make during that period whether it's gpu, HDD, mem, cooling, or just plain bling.

I'm feeding 3 full time desktops with another normally in flux from leftovers.

When you get that Opty it's the last s939 processor you'll ever want to buy. But be sure to get a dual core of course. :nod:

Yeah still running socket A technology right now, but who knows, if I get the money, maybe I'll move up a bit soon.

Socket A as in a backup rig or you mean you're still using it as your main rig?

Nothing wrong with that though. I still like Socket A even though I've never built one. There's a certain charm to CPUs without heatspreaders. :tooth:

It's kind of funny though when you think about how the Athlon was the fastest processor in the world when it was released. The nice thing about Socket A was that whenever a new fastest processor in the world was released, you didn't have to buy a new board in order to have one, because it was all the same platform. Now that Intel and AMD are starting to go neck-and-neck and every time AMD makes a new processor it's a different socket, things are getting complicated.

Sometimes I wonder if putting the memory controller on the CPU was such a good idea after all.

When you get that Opty it's the last s939 processor you'll ever want to buy. But be sure to get a dual core of course.

Yep, but again I've still got the other two (S754) to look after.

Other than upgrading the other two (one will get my 3700) to S939 it'll probably be at least a year before I consider a new platform.

It's going to be hard to part with my mem and move up to ddr2, but then again maybe by the time I get there ddr2 will have advanced and decent high end sticks will be reasonably priced.